On Monday, January 21, 2019 at 8:02:59 AM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

> Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>> Wrote:
>
> *> There is a lot of scientific theory that doesn't really mention space:
>> theories in chemistry and biology for example. *
>>

> Please be specific because I can't think of a single example.
>
> > *These have to do with change of structures (molecules, cells).*
>>

> A change with respect to what? The very word "structure" implies a
> arrangement in space. Biologists say cells are different here than they are
> there ( different species  occupy different habitats ) or they say cells
> now are different than what they were 3  billion years ago ( life evolves
> with time). If it's not a change in the structural arrangement in space or
> a change in how cells behave chemically as time progresses then what in the
> world do they mean when biologists say "the cell has changed"?
>
> *> But time is interesting. It is possible to have a discrete space (the
>> title subject of this topic) but a continuous time.*
>>

> Time is about change so time can't be continuous unless there is always a
> physical change between any 2 instances of time regardless of how close
> together they are. If space is discrete what change could occur in less
> time than the time it would take the fastest thing that can exist to travel
> the shortest distance that can exist??
>
>  John K Clark

I don't see where a continuous space R^3 (x,y,z) metric (Euclidean vs.
Riemannian) is required as a background specification in areas of
polymerization

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymerization

for example. It seems a discrete geometry would do.

As for continuous time, that is a good point. If space is discrete )in the
LQG sense), time must be is well.

- pt