On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 5:03:11 AM UTC-6, Philip Thrift wrote:

> This replaces space, time, particles, fields with histories.
>
> I think this is compatible with universal machines.
>

> https://codicalist.wordpress.com/2019/01/28/histories-of-phenomenally-everything-hope/
>

> - pt

This illustrates a problem with the epistemology of physics. It stems from
Newton's laws, in particular the second law of motion F = ma. On the left
hand side we have the dynamics in a force. We have on the right a physical
quantity in the mass of a body as a scalar quantity. We then have the
acceleration

a = lim_{Δt → 0}Δ^2x/Δt^2 = d^2x/dt^2.

This then multiplies the physical scalar mass to give a dynamical, which
means measurable, force that has a direction. We can then think of this as
a strange equation that multiplies a physical quantity by a geometric
quantity that then gives a dynamical force that is physical. Issac Newton
wrote this according to a construction called fluxions, which in time gave
was to the calculus based more on Leibniz and ultimately Weierstrass. Yet
the early period was full of roiling controversy over what we meant by
these infinitesimals and so forth. The geometric aspect of Newton's second
law appeared to have a different meaning from what would be expected of
something physical.

This confusion continues into general relativity. We might write the
Einstein field equation as

Geometric curvature = physical dynamics,

where Einstein was most enamored with the left hand side, calling it
marble, while the right hand side he cited as wood. There is the mixing of
categories in general relativity that is remarkably similar to Newtonian
mechanics. The general theory of relativity is based on the equivalence
principle, and this tells us that for a sufficiently local frame there is
no experiment that can determine if the frame is global in free space or in
a gravitational field. This gives the sort of calculus rule, small frames
removes geometric information and thus dynamics, and the geometrodynamical
theory is built from atlas-chart constructions on such infinitesimal frames.

General relativity gives geometry more of an active role. There may be
gravitational waves, undulations of space that evolve in time, that we
observe by the physical displacement of interferometer elements. We have in
our minds these mental models of space and spacetime, but ultimately we
have a category problem; space and spacetime while defined by clocks and
rulers, is not in of itself something that has direct physics.

We might then consider quantum gravitation. I think that spacetime is an
emergent property of quantum entanglement. Given a group G for the
symmetries of a quantum system or field, then in the Cartan decomposition G
= H×K the subgroup H is G modulo the action of K so H = G/K, and for a
quantum system this means the wave function is invariant with respect to
some description. Such as for entangled spins, the entangled wave function
has no description according to the spins.

In general relativity dynamics can be thought of as what extremizes the
action S = ∫d^4x sqrt(g)R, for R the Ricci curvature. Action and entropy
share an equivalency under the euclideanized map t/ħ = 1/kT for t time and
T temperature. We can also work this within complexity, and with quantum
gravitation the importance is with entanglement entropy or complexity. This
means that quantum gravitation is built from quantum states, which as we
all should be aware are not ontological entities in a standard sense. We
still have physics, in particular the aspect of physics that conveys
geometric or spatial relationship content, that is not ontologically solid.
This appears to be a fundamental aspect of physics, or at least physics as
we can understand.

For this reason I think ideas that have spacetime composed of little
elements that are physical are not likely correct. This has been a long
standing critique I have of quantum gravitation theories outside of string
theory. This is not to say I think string theory has everything sewed up.
However, these various ideas such as LQG, DT and SD etc seem to have
category conflicts.

LC