Interest in the psychical (experience, consciousness) aspect in all
biological levels has sort of taken off recently, it seems.

cf.

Cosmopsychism, Micropsychism, and the Grounding Relation
<https://philpapers.org/go.pl?id=GOFCMA&proxyId=&u=https%3A%2F%2Fphilpapers.org%2Farchive%2FGOFCMA.pdf>
Philip Goff <https://philpapers.org/s/Philip%20Goff>

Language is not experience/consciousness of course, but I think there is
some sort of connection between the existence of protolanguages (of lower
level animals) and protoconsciousnesses.

- pt