Consciousness began when "I" became conscious. But here I take into account that at the very beginning of "my" consciousness, "my" identity was almost undefined, so "I" refers to pretty much all conscious processes.

The notion of a personal identity is not a fundamental concept, consciousness exists independent of it. A subjective experience of a personal identity may be contained in a conscious experience, but this isn't necessary, and it may not correspond to a notion of identity based on physics.

When I was born and before I knew that I lived in the late 1900s, the consciousness I experienced corresponded to a very large ensemble of babies, some of them would find themselves up on Earth as it existed hundreds of years ago, some in the far future. Before I knew that dinosaurs had ever existed, I was also a creature very similar to us here on Earth on a planet where dinosaurs had never existed.

Saibal