> On 11 Feb 2019, at 00:34, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Two recent books:
>
> The First Minds: Caterpillars, Karyotes, and Consciousness
> Arthur S. Reber
> https://books.google.com/books/about/The_First_Minds.html?id=RBLEugEACAAJ
>
> Brain-Mind: From Neurons to Consciousness and Creativity
> Paul Thagard
> https://books.google.com/books/about/Brain_Mind.html?id=jJjHvAEACAAJ
>
> via
> When Did Consciousness Begin?
> Paul Thagard
> https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/hot-thought/201901/when-did-consciousness-begin

I compare with the theology of the computationalist Universal Turing machine’s
theology.

(So I do the blasphemy some times, and it is important that keep in mind the
necessary interrogation point). I have not look at the answer of others, to
test this later …).

Consciousness is just the “instinctive” or “automated” belief/anticipation
concerning a possible reality.

> Thagard's 10 hypotheses:
>
> 1. Consciousness has always existed, because God is conscious and eternal.

Consciousness has always existed, because all universal machine/number are
conscious and “eternal” (out of time).

Is God conscious? Open problem.

> 2. Consciousness began when the universe formed, around 13.7 billion years
> ago.

This cannot be. But the event “13 billion years ago” and many variants occurs
"all the time” (or all the number-of-step of all universal dovetailing) in the
arithmetical reality.

Those are important events in our history, but the consciousness which does the
history selection was there “before”.

> 3. Consciousness began with single-celled life, around 3.7 billion years ago
> (Reber).

Not really, but the consciousness of the universal machine get a physical
stable implementations, apparently relatively to us. We get many universal
entities capable of interacting with a solid notion of resources.

> 4. Consciousness began with multicellular plants, around 850 million years
> ago.

In our histories, which “tautologically” are those semantical statifying the
logic of the material modes of self-reference, which seems the case thanks to
the quantum and Gödel (which enforces the distinction between []p and []p & <>t
in the provable part of the machine in arithmetic.

Again, important events in our history, but consciousness was “there before”.

> 5. Consciousness began when animals such as jellyfish got thousands of
> neurons, around 580 million years ago.

That’s about the time the soul of the machine falls, and they begin to
hallucinate and believe in what they were conscious of, and thus get partially
deluded. The universal machine get Löbian. Soon, they will even begin to
believe in the axiom of infinity, and calculus, if not Lagrangian (grin).

> 6. Consciousness began when insects and fish developed larger brains with
> about a million neurons (honeybees) or 10 million neurons (zebrafish) around
> 560 million years ago.

It has been discovered that bees adds and multiplies little numbers, when they
need, to get pollen from mathematical human teacher! But I still think that
spider, especially the hunters, go much farer in their conception of reality as
a video illustrates well here. At 0.44 she explores and get a surprise when
“not seeing a spider where expected”, that occurs two times, and the second
times she run away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij4pdf49bxw

> 7. Consciousness began when animals such as birds and mammals developed much
> larger brains with hundreds of millions neurons, around 200 million years
> ago. [Thagard]

Much larger brain enlarges the number of stupidity you can asserts, but of
course, the catastrophes are limited until … the universal (natural) languages
develops …

> 8. Consciousness began with humans, homo sapiens, around 200,000 years ago.

“Homo sapiens” cannot be asserted by the homo if he is really sapiens …

Let us say that the peculiar human Intelligence, accompanied by human
stupidity, begin to develop.

Intelligence and stupidity are two big friends, they never separate each other.

> 9. Consciousness began when human culture became advanced, around 3000 years
> ago (Julian Jaynes).

Birth of the little ego. Birth of cruelty and the human suffering.

> 10. Consciousness does not exist, as it is just a scientific mistake
> (behaviorism} or a “user illusion” (Daniel Dennett).

Negation of the first person indubitable: you don’t exist. Dennett is logically
correct, as this follows from its ontological commitment in both primary matter
and Mechanism.

Of course, it is simpler to just omit such an ontological commitment.

Bruno