> On 11 Feb 2019, at 01:42, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I do not hold to the idea of panpsychism

Nor do I.

> and the existence of God is something that can be dismissed with no loss of
> understanding of reality.

Of course, you mean the first Aristotelian God. The second is Primary Matter,
or some substance.

With Mechanism, none of them is available. But we keep a universal dreamer, and
its possible awakening. The price? It get also very deeply very easily, and can
almost itself in very long complex histories.

> It is harder to know about consciousness in living things. I hesitate in some
> ways to think that prokaryotes are conscious in the way we are, just greatly
> diminished.

The prokaryotes up to most some jellyfish and plants might live the simple pure
innocent consciousness of Robinson Arithmetic.

With spider, cuttlefish and higher animals, the slope toward Löbianity seems to
be there, but language and big neocortex accelerate this tremendously, and even
that is nothing compared to the human made universal machine (seen in
geological time …).

> My dogs are conscious beings I am pretty convinced, but I think their mental
> landscape is smaller than that of a human.

I am not sure of that. Dogs are a bit idolaters toward the boss or the master,
but they have much less prejudices than the human, and as such there are more
open minded. Now, it is hard to motivate them for digging more on the
reflexion, but some dogs are more wise than many humans. Our consciousness are
hard to compare. Some dogs loves cannabis, also, and I am ready to bet they
make a very similar experience than the humans. They have just not a brain to
articulate their feeling and to exploit their potential “Löbianity”, and maybe
they are lucky for that, I don’t know.

> So somewhere in that spectrum consciousness may emerge. Plants may have some
> form of consciousness, and they do signal and appear to have some level of
> awareness of their surroundings.

Yes, the trees seem to communicate in the forest. There is also a problem of
time scaling. I suspect some plants to be conscious but with a different time
scale. I think the opposite for little animals (a day for a butterfly might
seems much longer from the first person perspective of an insect).

> Consciousness is in a way a sort of bootstrap process where a being generates
> an internal representation of themselves and themselves in this world.

Yes. It is basically what the second recursion theorem explains (and that
happens “all the time” in the arithmetical reality.

> It is then a sort of virtual process, and one where there being encodes a
> representation of themselves within themselves. I think it has some form of
> truncated self-reference such as Gödel's theorem.

Yes. Consciousness is very near the notion of consistency. It entails the
impossibility of being proved, and it generates the sense, as consistency is
basically equivalent with “being satisfied (made true) in some reality”. But
consciousness is not equivalent with consistency, except in God eyes. The
subtleties of incompleteness provides the tools to avoid the “theological
traps”, by keeping the difference between G and G* into account, and same for
the other modes.

> It might serve to give an estimate on say Chaitin's halting probability so
> the being is able to take a risk.

Chatin’s probability is too much rough for this, and is probably more related
to the big-bang and to cosmology than to consciousness. Consciousness needs
only Post Number (the halting Oracle, offered by the first person
indeterminacy). Chaitin’s number is the ultra-compressed version of Post
numbers 0,abcd… where each a, b … is 0 or 1 according to phi_i converges or
not, in an enumeration of the zero-art programs of some Turing universal
“language”.

> This may be extended in part to all sort of complex self-adaptive systems, in
> particular biological organisms.

With Post number, no doubt. Oblgatory so for classical indexical
computationalism.

Bruno