> On 14 Feb 2019, at 06:44, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 2/12/2019 5:34 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>> If we could knew which machine we are, we could define consciousness, or at
>> least our personal current consciousness, as it would be defined by the
>> combinator realising us. But that is impossible, and it defines only
>> mechanism and the choice we might make for our substitution level.
>
> But when we build AI's we will know which machine they are.

In theory yes, and we can be sure of its theology if the machine is sensibly
less complex than us. But the machine itself will not believe us, or understand
this. Then in practice, the machine will transform itself very quickly, and we
will also not known which machine she is, except that we will know some bound
on its substitution level: by construction indeed. Once as much complex than
us, even in that case, we will lost the information (except for the
substitution level again).

All (sound) machine can develop the whole theology of a simpler machine,
although not algorithmically in the first person modal logic. But the
propositional theology is just G*, and provably so if we can prove that the
machine is arithmetically sound (like we tend to believe for machine like PA
and ZF).

Bruno