> On 15 Feb 2019, at 19:53, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 2/14/2019 3:26 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>> Don’t hesitate to find some argument in favour of primitive materials, but
>> in my opinion, this is highly speculative, and never used in physics.
>
> But the non-material primitive is never used either.

Assuming matter! But even a physicist will prefer to assume numbers, as he
needs to record the results of its experiment and develop its theory, than to
derive the notion of numbers from, say the strings (and not the string
*theory*, which assumes some number or equivalent Turing-complete base.

> Insofar as I know, no scientist ever worries about what is primitive;

I agree. That is the case since 1500 years. Metaphysics/theology have been
taken away from science.

Instead of obeying to elementary Pltinian-like theology, whose recommend to
never mention Its Name in any terrestrial effective matter, we do tolerate the
blasphemy all the times. That explains why in the human science we are still in
the superstition, idolatry, with a complacency to total lack of rigour. That
explains (but not justifies) the Shoah, Rwanda, Wars, and the many lies we are
given all the times in the human domain, the medical science included. Science
has not yet begun, except somehow in between -500 (Pythagorus) and +500
(Damascius, end of Plato’s Academy in Athen).

Science is neutral on metaphysics and theology, *especially* in scientific
metaphysics/psychology/theology. You are right, I have never find a paper in
physics which assumes ontological matter. Only in philosophy do many people do
that assumption, which is not a problem if recognised as such, and not mixed
with Digital Mechanism. But the empirical evidences sides more with Mechanism
than Materialism.

> they only want to find a theory that is consilient, broad in scope, and
> correct in predictions.

Yes, so let us do that with theology and metaphysics.

Bruno