On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 9:42:01 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Brent
>>>

>> It is close. Gleason's theorem tells us that probabilities are a
>> consequence of certain measurements. So for a basis Q = {q_n} then in a
>> span in Q = P{q_n}, for P a projection operator that a measure μ(Q} is
>> given by a trace over projection operators. This is close, but it does not
>> address the issue of eigenvalues of an operator or observable. Gleason
>> tried to make this work for operators, but was ultimately not able to.
>>

>> It should work for the projection operator, that this is the
>> yes-no-experiment, but that extends to the other measurement, by reducing
>> (as usual) the question “what is the value of A” into the (many) question
>> “does A measurement belong to this interval” … Gleason’s theorem assures
>> that the measure is unique (on the subspaces of H with dim bigger or equal
>> to 3), so the Born rule should be determined, at least in non degenerate
>> case (but also in the degenerate case when the degeneracy is due to tracing
>> out a subsystem from a bigger system. I will verify later as my mind
>> belongs more to the combinator and applicative algebra that QM for now.
>>

>> Many years ago I had an idea that since the trace of a density matrix may
>> be thought of as constructed from projection operators with tr(ρ_n) = sum_n
>> |c_n|^2P_n, that observables that commute with the density matrix might
>> have a derived Born rule following Gleason. Further, maybe operators that
>> do not commute then have some dual property that still upholds Born rule. I
>> was not able to make this work.
>>

>> I will think about this. Normally the measure is determine by the “right"
>> quantum logic, and the right quantum logic is determined by the any
>> “provability” box accompanied by consistency condition (like []p & p, []p &
>> <>t, …).  The main difference to be expected, is that eventually we get a
>> “quantum credibility measure”, not really a probability. It is like
>> probability, except that credibility is between 0 and infinity (not 0 and
>> 1).
>>
>> Bruno
>>

> I think I ran into the issue of why Gleason's theorem does not capture the
> Born rule. Not all operators are commutative with the density matrix. So if
> you construct the diagonal of the density matrix, or its trace elements,
> with projector operators and off diagonal elements with left and right
> acting projectors (left acting hit bra vectors and right acting hit ket
> vectors) the problem is many operators are non-commutative. In particular
> the usual situation is for the Hamiltonian to have nontrivial commutation
> with the density matrix.
>

> It seems to me that Gleason theorem takes this into account. It only means
> that the probabilities does not make the same partition of the multiverse,
> but that is not a problem for someone who use physics to see if it confirms
> or refute the “observable” available to the universal numbers/machines in

Gleason's theorem applies for just one set of commuting operators, and in
particular those that commute with the density matrix. The Born rule holds
for all operators, and especially the Hamiltonian that does not commute
with the density matrix.

> I am not completely sure. You raise a doubt, and I’m afraid it will take
> some time I come back to Gleason theorem. But I appreciate. My conversation
> with Bruce and Brent makes me think that the notion of multiverse is far
> from clear. At least with mechanism things are crystal clear! There is only
> the sigma_1 sentences, and the nuances imposed by incompleteness for the
> “Löbian number” who “lives” through them (them for the sigma_sentences,
> which “realises” the computations).

I would not confuse the multiverse with this. There are several levels of
multioverse. The first is just the world beyond what we can ever observe
due to the cosmic horizon. The second is the vacuum pocket worlds in an
inflationary de Sitter spacetime. A third may be how these are connected to
anti-de Sitter spacetimes and how the landscape or swampland is generated.
The fourth is the idea that many worlds interpretation is the grand or
ultimate many worlds. This last one I would not take that seriously. Many
worlds interpretation, as with all interpretations, is an addition to
quantum mechanics that is less about physics and more about metaphysics.

> Of course I come from the other side, but if mechanism is correct, I can
> only cross physics when and where physics is correct. For now, physics is
> not yet a solved problem, as GR does not fit with QM. The very notion of
> “force” or “interaction” seems conceptually very different in GR and QM. We
> can expect surprise, but with Mechanism, the quantum weirdness is welcomed,
> and we are far from having any notion of physical space, and why 3D or 11D
> or 26D. Mechanism is a 0 dimension theory of the mind, à la Plato, where
> the ideas are the numbers i, and the partial recursive function phi_i, and
> the operator phi_phi_i, etc.

Spacetime is likely emergent from quantum entanglements. Quantum
entanglements are entirely nonlocal, so it seems strange that something
that is local should be so defined. However the Einstein field equation
R_{ab} - 1/2Rg_{ab} = T_{ab} has a curious duality about it. It says that
high energy quantum gravity on the left is equal to low energy ordinary
quantum fields. Further, the T_{ab} is for local quantum fields and these
are dual to nonlocal physics as gravitation in the spacetime bulk.

LC