> [...]
>

> On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 5:15:17 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
>

> On 2/28/2019 3:00 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:
>>

>> On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 4:34:54 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
>>

>> On 2/28/2019 2:14 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

>>> Which is something bacteria and plants and my thermostat have...and ability
>>> to detect and react to the environment based on internal states.
>>>
>>> Brent
>>>

>>> Galen is a (type of) micropsychist.
>>
>> But the point is we don't need a philosopher to explain that level of
>> consciousness to us.  It's already at the level of engineering.  If Strawson
>> is going to provide any useful explanations of consciousness he should study
>> machine learning...it's getting close to engineering consciousness at the
>> next higher level.
>>
>> Brent
>>
>> It won't be accomplished via certain types of engineering, like "information
>> network" approaches (IIT [
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_information_theory
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_information_theory> ]) but
>> potentially could with a "synthetic" approach that combines networks with
>> synthetic biology. Something along these lines is the "fusion" idea proposed
>> by
>
> I don't know why IIT is even discussed.  Aaronson pretty well shot it down.
>
> My son may get a chance to work on the Deepmind team.  What kind of brain
> cells would you suggest he sprinkle on the CPUs?
>
> Brent
>

> Like The Graduate's "plastics", today, "polymers".
>

> Biomaterials for the central nervous system
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2475552/
> <https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2475552/>
>
> Scientists Have Built Artificial Neurons That Fully Mimic Human Brain Cells
> https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-build-an-artificial-neuron-that-fully-mimics-a-human-brain-cell
>
> <https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-build-an-artificial-neuron-that-fully-mimics-a-human-brain-cell>
>
> Scientists develop promising new type of polymer
> https://phys.org/news/2019-01-scientists-polymers.html
> <https://phys.org/news/2019-01-scientists-polymers.html>
>
> Synthetic Glycopolymers for Highly Efficient Differentiation of Embryonic
> Stem Cells into Neurons: Lipo- or Not?
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28287262
> <https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28287262>
>
> Elastic materials for tissue engineering applications: Natural, synthetic,
> and hybrid polymers
> https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S174270611830494X
> <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S174270611830494X>
>
> Biomaterials for Scaffolds: Synthetic Polymers
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/286340849_Biomaterials_for_Scaffolds_Synthetic_Polymers
>
> <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/286340849_Biomaterials_for_Scaffolds_Synthetic_Polymers>
>

> Biosynthetic Polymers as Functional Materials

You might be interested by this quite remarkable news: a 8 letters synthetic
DNA, which seems to work well.
If that is true, it really suggests that we all come from one bacteria, I
think. It is amazing that all life use only the same 4 letters coding (A, T, G,
C).

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00650-8

Bruno