On 3/3/2019 3:45 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 1 Mar 2019, at 23:21, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 3/1/2019 7:04 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
The “minimal” consciousness require only a weak notion of self. It does not
require memory, nor any sense. It is a highly dissociated state of
consciousness. It is quite different from the usual mundane consciousness of
the everyday life.

How can there be a notion of self...something that persists through
time..without memory?
I am aware this is highly counter-intuitive, but consciousness does not seem to
require time, nor even any notion of identity. Identity is already a sort of
global illusion, a construct of the universal machine, even if it looks
“persistent” in the terrestrial (effective) plane.

I agree that consciousness, at the level of my thermostat, does not require a notion of identity.  But identity requires memory.  I have had two relatives die of Alzheimers and they lost their identity gradually as they lost memory.  Eventually they were only reactive, living in the moment...like my thermostat, but more complicated.

Brent

I don’t use this in my derivation of physics from arithmetical theology, but
many evidences accumulate for this, but they are so close the te logical trap
that I have no way to convey this without feeling uneasy.

Memory and persistence through space and time is required only for
self-consciousness? It is something build from consciousness and
self-consciousness, eventually, but as subject, we see those logical causality
in reverse. The theory explains why we cannot understand this, or justify it
rationally.