On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 3:18:39 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 7 Mar 2019, at 12:26, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 5:11:57 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 6 Mar 2019, at 14:43, John Clark <johnk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 8:30 AM Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>>
>> *> You confirm my theory that strong (non agnostic) atheism is radical
>>> religious fundamentalism*
>>

>> I've never heard you or anybody else criticize me that brilliantly
>> before, you sure put me in my place. I am devastated!
>>

>> Lol.
>>
>> The fact remains. Anyone mocking the science theology, helps the
>> radicals, who have separated theology from science to mix it with (fake)
>> politics (and real tyranny). You are under the influence of the post 529
>> pseudo-christian propaganda. You defend, not intentionally I suppose, those
>> who want us remaining non educated.
>> The greek theology (not the greek mythology!) is at the origin of
>> mathematics, physics, and even mathematical logic more recently.
>>
>> Note that the USSR, which have banned both religion and theology, did the
>> same thing with biology. By mixing it with the state, it becomes
>> obscurantist and non sensical (which led to a big famine).
>>

>> > By theology, you know that  [...]  *Plato define God by* [...]
>>

>> I'm sorry did you say something? I think I fell asleep
>>

>> Since long …
>> Since 529, somehow, I guess.
>>
>> Bruno
>>

>> Epicurus (via Lucretius) had a philosophy based on physical and psychical
> atoms.
>

> Intersting! (And just now you don’t provide links? I would be interested.
> It would show that early materialist where not eliminativist). Plotinus
> already complained on “eliminative materialism”, in its own term. I find
> this both inexact and inhuman.
>
> But that leads to a non necessary dualism, which is also incompatible with
> Descartes Mechanism and Turing’s one.
>

> Perhaps the writings of Epicurus and Democritus and their students should
> have been preserved and the writings of Plato and Aristotle should have
> been destroyed.
>
> :)
>

> Lol
>
> Bruno

Epicurus:

Psychical [soul] atoms combine with physical [body] atoms to make conscious
beings.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/epicurus/#PsycEthi

*Having established the physical basis of the world, Epicurus proceeds to
explain the nature of the soul (this, at least, is the order in which
Lucretius sets things out). This too, of course, consists of atoms: first,
there is nothing that is not made up of atoms and void (secondary qualities
are simply accidents of the arrangement of atoms), and second, an
incorporeal entity could neither act on nor be moved by bodies, as the soul
is seen to do (e.g., it is conscious of what happens to the body, and it
initiates physical movement). Epicurus maintains that soul atoms are
particularly fine and are distributed throughout the body (LH 64), and it
is by means of them that we have sensations (aisthêseis) and the experience
of pain and pleasure, which Epicurus calls pathê (a term used by Aristotle
and others to signify emotions instead). Body without soul atoms is
unconscious and inert, and when the atoms of the body are disarranged so
that it can no longer support conscious life, the soul atoms are scattered
and no longer retain the capacity for sensation (LH 65). There is also a
part of the human soul that is concentrated in the chest, and is the seat
of the higher intellectual functions. The distinction is important, because
it is in the rational part that error of judgment enters in. Sensation,
like pain and pleasure, is incorrigible just because it is a function of
the non-rational part, which does not modify a perception — that is, the
reception of lamina emitted from macroscopic bodies — by the addition of
opinion or belief.*

is an ancient precursor to

Realistic Monism (Why Physicalism Entails Panpsychism)
Galen Strawson
http://www.sjsu.edu/people/anand.vaidya/courses/c2/s0/Realistic-Monism---Why-Physicalism-Entails-Panpsychism-Galen-Strawson.pdf

Physicalist panpsychism (Blackwell Companion to Consciousness)
Galen Strawson
https://www.academia.edu/25420435/Physicalist_panpsychism_2017_draft

Note: Strawson uses "physicalism" to mean "materialism" since he thinks
physics - what counts as its subject matter (pun intended) - will change in
the future.

- pt