It appears as though it would indeed be possible to build a device powered by
dark energy. Such a device could keep running forever (as long as the universe
keeps expanding forever and vacuum decay doesn’t occur) and be able to survive
(or prevent) the heat death of the universe. Even proton decay would not
present a problem; new protons could always be created from the energy
generated.

So far I’ve thought of two possible classes of device that could do this. The
first is the “giant atom”, consisting of two spheres of equal but opposite
charge orbiting each other at an extremely long distance (long enough that dark
energy becomes significant). At such a distance, dark energy would cause the
objects’ orbits to spiral further and further apart. On the other hand, because
the objects are charged, they radiate away energy as they orbit, and this
radiation provides a braking force that would cause the objects to spiral
closer together. If the two effects are perfectly balanced, the orbits would be
stable and the system would keep radiating away energy forever—energy extracted
from the acceleration in the universe’s expansion.

The second device consists of an extremely long spring. Due to dark energy, the
spring experiences a fictitious force pulling it apart. This force is stronger
when the spring is fully extended, due to the longer distance between the ends.
Thus an oscillating spring would experience an oscillating force, and have
energy continually added to it, increasing the amplitude of its oscillations.
To keep the string from breaking, a mechanism for extracting energy from the
spring would have to be added, and if energy is extracted at the same rate it
is added the system would be stable.

As far as I know, neither of these devices has been proposed before in the
literature; I might have been the first person to come up with them.

Perhaps we should look for signs of these devices being constructed, in the
event highly advanced alien civilizations might be constructing them. Any
civilization that constructs such a device would probably qualify as Type IV.
With infinite energy it’d be possible to do an endless variety of things: run a
universal dovetailer, or resurrect the dead (simply by resurrecting every
person who COULD have ever existed, a set that obviously includes every person
who DID actually exist), etc.

-Mason Green