From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sun, Jun 16, 2019 6:39 pm
Subject: Re: The anecdote of Moon landing

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 7:19 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> I give metaphysics all the respect it deserves.

> If you did, you would more clearly make precise that you assume a physical
> reality.

I could understand what you mean by "physical reality" if you could just answer
the following question. If there was a physical reality how would things be
different from if there was not a physical reality?

> if we assume Mechanism, then such a physical reality has no sense.

Perhaps so I don't know because I don't know what "Mechanism" or "physical
reality" means in Brunospeak. You say a clock is not an example of a mechanism
but a textbook on computer science is. You say the ASCII sequence "SKK"  is not
a example if a mechanism but the ASCII sequence SKK is If a clock isn't a
mechanism then a car isn't one either and mechanics don't work on machines.

> The belief in a God or in a Universe is logically incompatible with the
> assumption of Mechanism.

Over the years I have managed to learn a few words of Brunospeak and in that
language "God" means a grey amorphous blob of unspecified size that need not be
intelligent or conscious; it's hard to see how that could be logically
incompatible with much of anything. It's even harder to understand how
something as dull as that could be of interest to anyone or anything.

> Mechanism is the assumption that we can survive a digital brain transplant
> operation copying,

OK, at last you've said something that is clear! By that definition I am a firm
believer in mechanism except that assumptions were not involved. I know for a
fact it is true because I know for a fact I have survived from the day I was
born to today, and every day since I was born I have been undergoing a brain
transplant operation, atoms are constantly shifting out of my brain and new
atoms shifting in to replace them. My brain is made out of last year's mashed
potatoes.

>  you mean no examples of “a mechanism”? I gave infinitely many of them, all
> the “i” in the phi_i gives example of mechanism, if you know what the phi_i
> represents.

So you want to know if the physical neurons in my physical brain in my
physical head that sits atop my physical smolders are arranged in a pattern
that encodes information about that particular mathematical notation, because
otherwise phi_i would not correspond to any mathematical idea at all. The
answer is yes and so it does convey meaning to me.  But by itself the "phi_i"
can have a thought or perform a calculation just about as well as the word
"cow" can produce milk.

> Make step 3 less simple (aka less stupid) and we can continue.

> You are the one who has systematically recast it with less precision. When
> the precision are added you

Precision?! You can't even specify who the referent is in the personal pronouns
you use wall to wall in the mess that you claim is a proof.
 >> I have no idea if I believe in what you call  "physicalism" or not because
I don't know what you mean by mechanism.

> YD + CT

IHA

>  you have already given 80,000 dollars to a doctor.

Yes.
> You are a mechanist practitioners.

OK, but in Brunospeak does that also mean I'm a  physicalism practitioner? Can
you be one but not the other or are they synonyms?

> You might have missed some of my earlier post,
 Yeah i missed that post of yours, and you missed my post where I proved P=NP
and the Riemann hypothesis. I posted it the same day you posted your wonderful
post you've been talking about for the last 10 years that solves all
metaphysical problems.

> this was an idea by Aristotle, in contradiction with Pythagorus and Plato.

Bruno, do you really think if  you throw enough ancient Greeks at me who didn't
know where the sun went at night I'll change my views concerning modern physics
and mathematics?

>> You haven't given ANY details about how an ASCII sequence by itself can make
>> a calculation because you don't know any details,

> Which one?

# 42

 >> if you did you'd be the richest most powerful man who ever lived. In fact
 >> you wouldn't be a man you'd be a God.

> You talk like if the discovery of computation in arithmetic would lead
> automatically to their implementation in some physical reality.

I talk like that because that is precisely what would happen UNLESS physics can
do something that mathematics can't. And since you clearly are not a God I must
conclude that physics can indeed do something that mathematics can't.
 > you need to implement the computer in the physical reality. That is obvious.
Exactly. And from that observation the only logical conclusion is physics is
more fundamental than mathematics.
 > But that would not have been possible without the discovery made by Tiuring
and others
True, you can't just slap together matter in any old way and expect it to
perform a calculation, but there is a way it can be done and Turing taught us
what it was..
John K Clark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv3Am0a%3D110eO%3DTDqqV%3D%2BsdLzvjJM7q%2B_NvwxzTQTD3Tzw%40mail.gmail.com.