On 11/6/2019 3:28 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 6:12 PM 'Brent Meeker' v<everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

        Black Holes: Complementarity or Firewalls?
        <https://arxiv.org/pdf/1207.3123.pdf>
        They say a inertial observer would encounter a firewall and
burn up as soon as he passed the Event Horizon, do you disagree?

    >/I disagree./

Where did they go wrong?
*A Note on (No) Firewalls: The Entropy Argument**
**Yasunori Nomura, Jaime Varela*
(Submitted on 29 Nov 2012 (v1), last revised 8 Jul 2013 (this version, v4))
An argument for firewalls based on entropy relations is refuted.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1211.7033.pdf

*Branches of the Black Hole Wave Function**
**Need Not Contain Firewalls**
**Ning Bao,1 Sean M. Carroll,2 Aidan Chatwin-Davies,2**
**Jason Pollack,3**
**and Grant N. Remmen1*
We discuss the branching structure of the quantum-gravitational wave function that describes the evaporation of a black hole. A global wave function which initially describes a classical Schwarzschild geometry is continually decohered into distinct semiclassical branches by the emission of Hawking radiation. The laws of quantum mechanics dictate that the wave function evolves unitarily, but this unitary evolution is only manifest when considering the global description of the wave function; it is not implemented by time evolution on a single semiclassical branch. Conversely, geometric notions like the position or smoothness of a horizon only make sense on the level of individual branches. We consider the implications of this picture for probes of black holes by classical observers in definite geometries, like those involved in the AMPS construction. We argue that individual branches can describe semiclassical geometries free of firewalls, even as the global wave function evolves unitarily. We show that the pointer states of infalling detectors that are robust under Hamiltonian evolution are distinct from, and incompatible with, those of exterior detectors stationary with respect to the black hole horizon, in the sense that the pointer bases are related to each other via nontrivial transformations that mix the system, apparatus, and environment.
This result describes a Hilbert-space version of black hole complementarity.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1712.04955.pdf

*Cool horizons for entangled black holes**
**Juan Maldacena, Leonard Susskind*
General relativity contains solutions in which two distant black holes are connected through the interior via a wormhole, or Einstein-Rosen bridge. These solutions can be interpreted as maximally entangled states of two black holes that form a complex EPR pair. We suggest that similar bridges might be present for more general entangled states. In the case of entangled black holes one can formulate versions of the AMPS(S) paradoxes and resolve them. This suggests possible resolutions of the firewall paradoxes for more general situations.
https://arxiv.org/abs/1306.0533