On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 8:48 AM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> On 11/27/2019 4:27 AM, Bruce Kellett wrote:

I don't think you have seen the point I am trying to make.

> I don't think I do either.

After overnight reflection I am no longer sure that there is a point!

The starting point was the section on page 173 of Carroll's new book. I
didn't think that that was actually a satisfactory answer to the question
of energy conservation in MWI: energy is conserved in the global wave
function by unitarity, but when there is a split in one branch, where does
the energy of the other branches come from? The answer given is that the
original energy is split according to the Born weights. That, at least,
gives the global conservation. So half the original energy in my laboratory
goes into the branch that sees spin-up in an S-G experiment, and half goes
into the spin-down branch. Why am I not aware of this? I think the answer
would be that it is the energy of the whole of the original branch that is
split and that branch extends over time, so it looks as though the split
occurs before the spin measurement -- at least as far as energy is
concerned. So the picture that emerges is that in any superposition, the
energy is split between components according to the Born weights, whether a
measurement involving decoherence is made or not. Whether such an idea is
even coherent is not clear. But that seems to be what MWI is committed to.

Certainly we think energy is (locally) conserved in the world we observe,
> which according to MWI is only one branch.  So either energy is created in
> order supply it for all the other branches, or there's some scaling
> principle (which LC seems to suggest) such that if everything in a branch
> is scaled to the appropriate probability, including the energy, then there
> will be no observable difference.  The latter is why I brought the
> half-silvered mirror case, since it's not just energy that is conserved,
> but the energy-momentum.  And there's angular momentum too, and charge.
> It's not just energy.

I think your point about other conservation laws is interesting --
especially charge. How would you divide the charge of a state among the
superposed basis states according to the Born rule and get charge
conservation in every branch? Simple scaling as with energy would seem not
to work.

Bruce