On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 7:26:39 AM UTC-6, Lawrence Crowell wrote:

> On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 1:51:42 AM UTC-6, Philip Thrift wrote:
>>

>> On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 5:39:09 PM UTC-6, Lawrence Crowell
>> wrote:

>>> The electric charge in one branch is the same electric charge in all
>>> other branches.
>>>
>>> LC
>>>

>> So the number of *coulombs*  in a branching Many Worlds grows
>> exponentially .
>>
>> Under the 2019 redefinition of the SI base units
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_redefinition_of_the_SI_base_units>,
>> which took effect on 20 May 2019,[2]
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb#cite_note-BIPM9-2> the elementary
>> charge <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_charge> (the charge of
>> the proton <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton>) is exactly 1.602176634
>> ×10−19 coulombs. Thus the coulomb is exactly the charge of 1/(1.602176634
>> ×10−19) protons, which is approximately 6.2415090744×1018 protons (1.036×
>> 10−5 mol <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit)>). The same number
>> of electrons <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron> has the same
>> magnitude but opposite sign of charge, that is, a charge of −1 C.
>>

>> This was the issue about mass raised weeks ago when Sean Carroll's book
>> came out.
>>
>> There has never been an answer.
>>
>> @philipthrift
>>

> No, no, no! This happens no more than does the number of coulombs multiply
> when an electron is in some superposition of states. In MWI, and I am not
> trying to be a panegyric for MWI,  there is still a superposition of
> states. The trajectory or geodesic is in the Fubini-Study metric, a line
> bundle space of  π:H → PH on Hilbert space and its projectivization on the
> line bundle. The observer is restricted to a sort of "frame dragging" along
> one basis direction. This does not mean the charge is duplicated in any
> global sense, but more that the observer simply observes the electron and
> its associated charge with respect to one measurement outcome. This really
> is not that different from the CI construct with projector operators. The
> observer along other paths similarly observes the same electron and charge,
> but just carried along another basis direction.
>
> THE CHARGE IS NOT DUPLICATED! I don't know how to more emphatically state
> this!
>
> LC

But Sean Carroll says there are multiple Sean Carrolls that come into being
as the MWI branches, so whatever charge Sean Carroll now has is
"replicated" in World x and World y, and then the multiple Sean Carrolls go
do their own things independently.

That's exactly what he says happens.

@philipthrift