On Friday, November 29, 2019 at 8:57:16 AM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

> All this talk about energy conservation has got me thinking about
> Perpetual Motion Machines, there are 2 types, both are impossible but one
> is more impossible than the other. One type would violate the known laws of
> physics, or maybe not; it seems to me that in an accelerating universe it
> would be possible, at least in theory, to extract work (force over a
> distance) from nothing and keep doing so forever.
>
> The other type of Perpetual Motion Machine would violate the second law of
> thermodynamics, you couldn't create energy from nothing but you could keep
> recycling the same energy and keep extracting work out of it forever. That
> would violate not just a law of physics but a law of logic too. If you
> could do that then you could also make entropy decrease, but that would
> be illogical because there is no getting around the fact that there are
> just more ways something can be disorganized than organized.
>
> John K Clark

All of this is based on premises that are, basically. only mere
presumptions. Nothing is settled truth here.

@philipthrift

[image: Time's Arrow and Archimedes' Point: New Directions for the Physics
of Time]
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/175546.Time_s_Arrow_and_Archimedes_Point>
Want to Read
Rate this book
1 of 5 stars
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/175546.Time_s_Arrow_and_Archimedes_Point#>2

of 5 stars
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/175546.Time_s_Arrow_and_Archimedes_Point#>3

of 5 stars
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/175546.Time_s_Arrow_and_Archimedes_Point#>4

of 5 stars
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/175546.Time_s_Arrow_and_Archimedes_Point#>5

of 5 stars
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/175546.Time_s_Arrow_and_Archimedes_Point#>
Preview
<https://read.amazon.com/nc/?kcrFree=only&tag=x_gr_w_preview_sin_kcr-20&asin=B004SL4KIU>
Time's Arrow and Archimedes' Point: New Directions for the Physics of Time
by
Huw Price <https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/102431.Huw_Price>
 3.70  ·   Rating details
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/175546.Time_s_Arrow_and_Archimedes_Point#>
 ·  132 ratings
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/175546.Time_s_Arrow_and_Archimedes_Point#other_reviews>
 ·  9 reviews
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/175546.Time_s_Arrow_and_Archimedes_Point#other_reviews>
Why is the future so different from the past? Why does the past affect the
future and not the other way around? What does quantum mechanics really
tell us about the world? In this important and accessible book, Huw Price
throws fascinating new light on some of the great mysteries of modern
physics, and connects them in a wholly original way. Price begins with the
mystery of the arrow of time. Why, for example, does disorder always
increase, as required by the second law of thermodynamics? Price shows
that, for over a century, most physicists have thought about these problems
the wrong way. Misled by the human perspective from within time, which
distorts and exaggerates the differences between past and future, they have
fallen victim to what Price calls the "double standard fallacy": proposed
explanations of the difference between the past and the future turn out to
rely on a difference which has been slipped in at the beginning, when the
physicists themselves treat the past and future in different ways. To avoid
this fallacy, Price argues, we need to overcome our natural tendency to
think about the past and the future differently. We need to imagine a point
outside time - an Archimedean "view from nowhen" - from which to observe
time in an unbiased way. Price then turns to the greatest mystery of modern
physics, the meaning of quantum theory. He argues that in missing the
Archimedean viewpoint, modern physics has missed a radical and attractive
solution to many of the apparent paradoxes of quantum physics. Many
consequences of quantum theory appear counter-intuitive, such as
Schrodinger's Cat, whose condition seems undetermined until observed, and
Bell's Theorem, which suggests a spooky"nonlocality, " where events
happening simultaneously in different places seem to affect each other
directly. Price shows that these paradoxes can be avoided by allowing that
at the quantum level the future does, indeed, affect the past. This
demystifies nonlocality, ...

@philipthrift