> On 3 Dec 2019, at 03:18, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:39 PM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl
> <mailto:smi...@zonnet.nl>> wrote:
> On 02-12-2019 09:39, Bruce Kellett wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 7:19 PM Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:cloudver...@gmail.com>>
> > wrote:
> >
> > "even in many-worlds you end up on only one branch (stochastically)"
> >
> > Sean Carroll himself has said (in a tweet) that if you let
> > probabilities (stochasticity) in - like the camel's nose under the
> > tent - you might as well have a one world - not many worlds - theory.
> >
> > We do have only one world. Do you know of anyone who lives in more
> > than one branch of the multiverse?
> >
> > Bruce
>
> Your subjective state (everything that you're aware at some instant),
> doesn't fully specify the exact physical state of your brain. The number
> of distinct physical brain states is so astronomically large that your
> mindset and how you are feeling about everything isn't going to be
> consistent with only one physical brain state. This means that given
> your subjective state, the physical state of your MWI sector should be
> described as a very complex superposition involving a large number of
> brain states that are entangled with the environment.
>
> My brain currently has only one state.

How do you know that? How could you know that.

> Other states may be consistent with my current conscious state, but these do
> not exist. The idea that I am a superposition of all brain states consistent
> with my consciousness is just idle speculation. How would you ever prove such
> a thing?

We cannot prove the existence of a physical universe, and if we assume
mechanism, we cannot see how a universe could choose one state against the
infinitely many others which lead to the same consciousness.

Of course, this should not be a problem for a non-mechanist, except that he has
to provide its non-mechanist theory of mind, and still explain the role of the
(not finitely descriptible) substrate in generating its consciousness.

> If we assume that we can bypass this problem and that we can locate
> ourselves in one single branch, then this leads to the following
> paradox. Consider simulating such a conscious entity on a computer. At
> all moments in time, the physical state of the computer is just
> transitioning from one particular state to another state. Since
> consciousness is related to the actual physical state of the computer,
> replacing the computer by a dumb device that doesn't compute anything,
> which simply cycles through physical states that the computer would move
> through given some particular set of inputs, will render exactly the
> same consciousness.
>
> Yes, and so what? If my consciousness is a sequence of brain states, anything
> that produces that same sequence of brain states will produce my
> consciousness. Substrate independence, after all.
> This absurd conclusion depends only on the single world assumption,
>
> It is not absurd in the least. Argument ad absurdum is not a logical
> argument. What is absurd to you may be perfectly reasonable to someone else.
> it's a consequence of the non-existence of counterfactuals.

Which will need to assume actual infinities, and very big one.

> How can a counterfactual exist? By definition, it is counter to the facts,
> hence, non-existent.
>
> Clearly actions
> as a response to counterfactual inputs must be relevant for
> consciousness,
>
> But there cannot be any such thing as a counterfactual input. You might
> consider "What if...." scenarios. But they are not relevant for my current
> brain state. It will do what it will do, whatever the input.
> but there is no room to do that within classical single
> World physics. But as I pointed out above the generic state of a
> conscious involves being located not in a single branch, but being
> distributed over an astronomically large number of different branches.
>
> Different branches are, by definition, non-interacting, so different branches
> correspond to different persons. Anyway, I choose not to accept this load of
> speculative rubbish.

Because you speculate on a physical universe which would be ontologically
primary. With mechanism, we need not to assume more than 2+2=4, or Kxy = x, …

There is no problem with the MWI once we stop assuming physicalism, which seems
to me to be the bg speculation here.

Bruno