> On 3 Dec 2019, at 05:21, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 12/2/2019 5:39 PM, smitra wrote:
>> On 02-12-2019 09:39, Bruce Kellett wrote:

>>> The formalism supposes that the state represented by each basis vector
>>> becomes entangled with the environment to leave a record of the result
>>> of the measurement. Coordinate systems do not become entangled with
>>> anything. So the schematic above must represent the particle or
>>> whatever that is being measured (considered of interest, if you wish
>>> to avoid the "M" word.)

>>> Irrelevant to the main point.

>>> Yes, I find this easier to understand in a single-world situation. In
>>> either case, you have to renormalise the state -- energy, charge and
>>> everything -- for each branch in many-worlds as much as in a
>>> single-world. In fact, as Zurek points out, even in many-worlds you
>>> end up on only one branch (stochastically). So the other branches do
>>> no work, and might as well be discarded. If you are really worried
>>> about the possibility of fully decohered branches recombining, take
>>> out life insurance......
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>
>>> "even in many-worlds you end up on only one branch (stochastically)"
>>>
>>> Sean Carroll himself has said (in a tweet) that if you let
>>> probabilities (stochasticity) in - like the camel's nose under the
>>> tent - you might as well have a one world - not many worlds - theory.
>>>
>>> We do have only one world. Do you know of anyone who lives in more
>>> than one branch of the multiverse?
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>
>> Your subjective state (everything that you're aware at some instant),
>> doesn't fully specify the exact physical state of your brain. The number of
>> distinct physical brain states is so astronomically large that your mindset
>> and how you are feeling about everything isn't going to be consistent with
>> only one physical brain state. This means that given your subjective state,
>> the physical state of your MWI sector should be described as a very complex
>> superposition involving a large number of brain states that are entangled
>> with the environment.
>
> That's true.  But it waaay under estimating the number of brain states
> consistent with a thought.  The reason is that many different quasi-classical
> brain states will be consistent with that thought...not only different
> quantum superpositions.

Yes, that is the real problem. Too much states, a priori, many leading to
aberrant histories. But then Mechanism put a structure allowing reasonable
(quantum) measure. This means Mechanism is not refuted, and rather confirmed by
the introduction of statistics at the core of the physical reality.

>> If we assume that we can bypass this problem and that we can locate
>> ourselves in one single branch, then this leads to the following paradox.
>> Consider simulating such a conscious entity on a computer. At all moments in
>> time, the physical state of the computer is just transitioning from one
>> particular state to another state. Since consciousness is related to the
>> actual physical state of the computer, replacing the computer by a dumb
>> device that doesn't compute anything, which simply cycles through physical
>> states that the computer would move through given some particular set of
>> inputs, will render exactly the same consciousness.
>
> I don't see the difference.  The computer will also have many different
> microscopic states and particles in superpositions (depending on how bases
> states are defined).  You are simply begging the question by calling it a
> "dumb device".  Dumb or smart are not states or sequences of states, they are
> relations to an external environment and internal purposes.

They are relations in between universal entities. First person plurality
suggest we share some of them, in some degrees.

>> This absurd conclusion depends only on the single world assumption, it's a
>> consequence of the non-existence of counterfactuals. Clearly actions as a
>> response to counterfactual inputs must be relevant for consciousness,
>
> It's not clear to me.  How can there be a response to an input ("input" to
> what) that doesn't occur?  And why would such a response be anything but
> crazy?

Why necessarily crazy? If you can prove this, you refute Mechanism.

Bruno