On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 9:58:25 PM UTC-6, Alan Grayson wrote:

> On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 8:54:48 PM UTC-7, Alan Grayson wrote:

>>> A flat or saddle-shaped universe extends infinitely in spacial
>>> coordinates. Otherwise it has an edge or boundary, which IMO, does NOT
>>> characterize our universe. It can't expand at some finite speed, no matter
>>> how large, and extend infinitely in space. AG
>>>

> *LC keeps bring up inflation or eternal inflation, but I don't see these
> speculative scenarios having anything to do with the logical result I have
> stated above. AG*

Such theories (*"extends infinitely in spacial coordinates"*) are just
wrong in the first place, according to Max Tegmark. So they can be
eliminated at the start (and hopefully never mentioned again).

https://www.edge.org/response-detail/25344

Not only do we lack evidence for the infinite, but* we don't actually need
the infinite to do physics*: our best computer simulations, accurately
describing everything from the formation of galaxies to to tomorrow's
weather to the masses of elementary particles, use only finite computer
resources by treating everything as finite. So if we can do without
infinity to figure out what happens next, surely nature can too—in a way
that's more deep and elegant than the hacks we use for our computer
simulations. *Our challenge as physicists is to discover this elegant way
and the infinity-free equations describing it*—the true laws of physics. To
start this search in earnest, we need to question infinity. I'm betting
that we also need to let go of it.

@philipthrift