> On 15 Jan 2020, at 20:01, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 9:03:54 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 4 Jan 2020, at 13:11, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Quantum theory cannot consistently describe the use of itself
>> Daniela Frauchiger & Renato Renner
>> https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-05739-8
>> <https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-05739-8>
>>
>> Quantum theory provides an extremely accurate description of fundamental
>> processes in physics. It thus seems likely that the theory is applicable
>> beyond the, mostly microscopic, domain in which it has been tested
>> experimentally. Here, we propose a Gedankenexperiment to investigate the
>> question whether quantum theory can, in principle, have universal validity.
>> The idea is that, if the answer was yes, it must be possible to employ
>> quantum theory to model complex systems that include agents who are
>> themselves using quantum theory. Analysing the experiment under this
>> presumption, we find that one agent, upon observing a particular measurement
>> outcome, must conclude that another agent has predicted the opposite outcome
>> with certainty. The agents’ conclusions, although all derived within quantum
>> theory, are thus inconsistent. This indicates that quantum theory cannot be
>> extrapolated to complex systems, at least not in a straightforward manner.
>>
>> from
>> https://www.quantamagazine.org/frauchiger-renner-paradox-clarifies-where-our-views-of-reality-go-wrong-20181203/
>>
>> <https://www.quantamagazine.org/frauchiger-renner-paradox-clarifies-where-our-views-of-reality-go-wrong-20181203/>
>
> Classical Mechanics is Turing universal with only three bodies, and quantum
> mechanics is Turing universal with 0-bodies.
>
> In classical mechanics only 2 body problems are integrable. There are many
> body problems that are integrable, but they form a small subset of general
> N-body problems. General relativity is not 2-body integrable in general, but
> only one body integrable.

That raises the interesting question if GR + 2 bodies can be made Turing
Universal. Usually, when a continuous system is not integrable, like
Navier-Stoke equation in fluid dynamics (cf turbulence), I take it as an
evidence that it is Turing Universal (or very near). That is not a priori true,
as I imagine that we might be able to build (in some ad hoc ways) non
integrable system which will not be Turing Universal. It is doubtful that such
system, if they exist, could be linked to any “natural observable" phenomena.

> Quantum mechanics is not 1-body integrable so it computes a deterministic
> outcome of experiments. Quantum field theory is not zero body integrable with
> dynamics of the vacuum.

OK.

Bruno