On the "unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics" I approach this - as you
know -  ala *Hartry Field*:

https://as.nyu.edu/content/nyu-as/as/faculty/hartry-field.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartry_Field

*Field holds that the existence of sets
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_(mathematics)> may be denied, in
opposition to Quine–Putnam indispensability argument
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quine%E2%80%93Putnam_indispensability_argument>
of Quine
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Van_Orman_Quine> and Putnam
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilary_Putnam>.*

I have my own version:

https://codicalist.wordpress.com/2018/08/26/mathematical-pulp-fictionalism/

On the simplicity of equations, if is hard to see how this equation is
pretty:

https://www.symmetrymagazine.org/sites/default/files/images/standard/sml.png
(The equation for the Standard Model - can you count how many
symbols/glyphs are there?)

On the *connectional vs. equational paradigm* in physics: I think the
connectional could profoundly change what is both practically and
philosophically viewed as a model of physics, and that the equational is
left behind in a past era of platonism.

@philipthrift