> [...]
>> the other assigned "that", They have equal status in MWI reality. One is not
>> privileged over the other in any way.
>>
>> @philipthrift
>>
>> This is hopeless. It's like you don't understand what I wrote, which is
>> pretty simple. AG
>>

>> What you wrote has nothing to do with MWI. You created something different
>> from MWI (in the Carroll sense).
>> But's OK to have your own interpretation.
>>
>> It's your own "interpretation", not MWI.  Publish it and call it something
>> else.
>>
>> @philipthrift
>>
>> I suppose I'm just following Tegmark; everything that CAN happen, MUST
>> happen.  So, when an observer measures UP (or DN) in THIS world, another
>> world comes into existence wherein an observer MUST measure DN (or UP). From
>> this I get N or less worlds for N trials where the results of measurements
>> are binary, such as spin. Maybe not precisely MWI, but definitely less
>> stupid -- but still egregiously stupid. How could MWI be remotely correctly
>> if it alleges THIS world splits when it's never observed?
>
> Everett explains this entirely in his long text. The observer cannot feel the
> split, nor observe it directly. But if QM (without collapse) is correct, it
> is up to the Uni-World to provide explanation of how “nature” makes some
> terms in the superposition disappear.
>
> Also, the MW is also a consequence of Descartes (mechanism) +
> Turing-Church-Post-Kleene (i.e. the discovery of the computer … in the
> elementary arithmetical reality).
>

>> But now you say that for Everett there's no such thing as THIS world. All
>> this stuff, including Bruno's BS, is so profoundly dumb, I can't believe
>> we're even discussing it! Was it Brent on another thread who claimed many
>> physicists have become cultists? Whoever made that claim qualifies for
>> sanity. AG
>

> Are you saying that the brain is not Turing emulable? Or what? All what I say
> follows from this “intuitively”, but is also recovered by the Platonician’s
> definition used in epistemology, when modelling  “rational belief” by
> “provability”, which is suggested by incompleteness. I do know philosophers
> who are not convinced, by I don’t do philosophy, I prefer to show a theory
> and its testability, and indeed I show exactly how to test experimentally
> between Mechanism and (Weak) Materialism (physicalism), and I show that
> quantum mechanics confirms Mechanism.
>
> I am not the guy who comes with a new theory. I am just showing that the old
> and venerable Mechanist theory (in biology, psychology) is experimentally
> testable, and that QM without-collapse confirms it, like I show also that
> quantum logic confirms it.
>
> What is your take on the WM-duplication?
>
> Bruno
>
> PS if you could avoid the insults, and reason instead, that would be nice.
> Leave the insults to those who have no arguments.
>
> As I see it, you have no arguments for MW except hand-waving. Do unicorns

Exists in which sense? They certainly are fictive object. Unicorn does not
exist, because by definition they belong to fairy tales. I am not sure what you
try to convey, or perhaps to insinuate. “Hand waning” is a bit of an insult.
Please quote the sentences that you disagree with, or that you don’t understand.

Or are you assimilating the true number relation with fiction? Then stop doing
science, because those number relations are assumed in all theories that I know
of.

> If there are genetic codes which create unicorns, do they exist, somewhere?

No. Unicorn does not exist by definition. Some horse have one corn, due to
congenital malformation, but we don’t use them to suddenly claim that unicorn
exist. It would be playing with word.

> Well maybe, given enough time. I'll grant you that.

That seems wiser, I mean to understand that the computation exists, once you
agree with simple rules like x + 0 = x, x + s(y) = s(x + y), etc.

> But the horse which loses a race in this world, doesn't imply another world
> in which it wins.

I agree. Horses are quasi-classical, so if they lose in “my” branche, they most
certainly lose in almost all branches, except perhaps for a negligible subset.

> Why should it? This is the basic flaw in this nonsense. There is absolutely
> no basis for believing in another world in which the horse wins;

I agree. But there are reason to believe, when I send a particle on a plate
with two holes, that there are as much histories where it passes through one
hole than histories where it passes through the other.
To be sure reality” is more complex, and those histories are relative indexical
projection sequences.

I prefer to avoid the term world, which is a technical term in logic, and a
very general one.

> or if I get spin UP in this world, there must be another world in which
> another copy of me measures spin DN.

Then you need to *add* the collapse postulate, which means you have to use
different physics for the physicists and the particle. Also, you need to
abandon Mechanism (and thus Darwin, biology, etc.).

> You justify this by appeals to words and processes I don't fully understand,
> but they cannot lead to such nonsense.

I can understand that all this is shocking, but science is not wishful
thinking, and we cannot make a simple theory (arithmetic) more complicated just
to be OK with our metaphysical prejudices.

> You're just making some critical errors in judgment which I could possibly
> locate

You are welcome.

> if I wanted to get into your system. But since I know your conclusions are
> wrong,

You cannot be serious and say “I know that your conclusion are wrong”. You can
say “I suspect your conclusion are wrong”, but even this, when said between
scientist, is rare. You should better say “I suspect your conclusion are wrong
for this or that reason”.

> I am not motivated to do so. I can't explain collapse. But I'd rather to just
> say I don't know, than to embrace the nonsense of MW.

Concerning Reality, the antic metaphysician knew already that nobody can say
“we know …”. In science we give theories and means of verification. If the
theory is refuted, we learn something. If not, doubt remains.

> Have you considered forgetting about wf's and just use Dirac's Matrix
> Mechanics

I guess you mean Heisenberg matrix Mechanics. Yes, that does not change
anything. Deutsch even prefer the Heisenberg matrices to illustrate the MWI.  I
use the SWE just to fix the things. The best formulation of QM is the one by
Feynman.

> instead of the SWE? In MM there are no waves so no collapse to worry about.

I agree, and in Feynman there is no collapse either, but that’s is what
explains the success of the MWI, notably in cosmology and quantum computations.
The collapse has been invented to suppress the many worlds, which admittedly
look even more weird if we take the SWE literally. The truth is closer to
Feynman, which is truly more general, and clearly coherent with relativity
(which contradict the SWE). That is even why some people, like Finkelstein, but
also Einstein+Bohr, have been close to deduce relativity from quantum
mechanics, something that I am studying (no personal opinion on that matter
yet).

> Why focus on collapse of the wf when you can use MM? AG

If you accept MM, no problem. The many worlds comes there in the form of non
nul diagonal term in the density matrixes. See the paper of Deutsch and Heyden
to see the “many-world” interpretation of Heisenberg matrix mechanics. Non
relativistic MM is completely equivalent with the SWE. Then Dirac and Feynman
are just more exact formulation, taking into account the invariance for the
Lorentz transformation.

Bruno