> On 25 Feb 2020, at 05:06, Alan Grayson <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 6:55:59 AM UTC-7, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 24 Feb 2020, at 05:44, Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
>> wrote:
>>

>> On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 5:08:16 AM UTC-7, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> On the contrary, Mechanism reduces the apparent indeterminacy to the
>>> computable. With mechanism, things might be too much non computable, when
>>> you take the first person indeterminacy into account. Then the math shows
>>> that this refutation of mechanism does not work, as the computations are
>>> done with the exact redundancy making the physical reality enough
>>> computable to get stable histories.
>>>
>>> Mechanism entails that the physical reality cannot be entirely computed,
>>> like it predicted that no piece of matter can be cloned. Indeed, it emerges
>>> from a non computable statistics on infinitely many computation, which are
>>> not algorithmically recognisable in arithmetic. We can test mechanism by
>>> measuring its degree of non computability. Too much computable would be
>>> more problematic than too much non-computable.
>>>
>>> Bruno
>>>
>>> I really can't follow the above. What I understand by mechanism (as you
>>> define it), is that the human nervous system, and presumably a human being,
>>> can be duplicated by computers.
>> Yes. If you want, we could define a mechanist practitioners as someone
>> accepting an artificial prosthesis, like an artificial heart (a pump), or an
>> artificial kidney ( filter machine), etc. A mechanist is then someone
>> accepting this whatever organ is concerned, and in particular an artificial
>> and digital brain.
>>> If that's what you mean, can you explain each sentence above. For example,
>>> how does mechanism reduce the apparent indeterminacy to the computable? And
>>> so forth. AG
>> Self-duplication is made possible by the Digital Mechanism. If you agree
>> that with self-duplication,
>>
>> I don't. Although it has some plausibility, there's no way that arithmetic
>> alone can CREATE space and time. A computer can create "points" in a
>> hypothetical grid, and various types of distance formulas, but it cannot
>> create space or time.
> Arithmetic cannot create space and time. I agree with you. That would be
> rather magical indeed.
>
> Then arithmetic cannot create other worlds! End of story. Case closed. AG

It creates all the individual and collective stories. The case would be close
if you could prove the existence of a world, but if you are a consistent
machine (to be short), then incompleteness precludes this.

Even intuitively, you can understand that no one can prove the existence of
anything from scratch. We need to assume some theories, and with mechanism,
eventually we have to abandon the idea of an ontological physical universe.
Still, we get an explanation of where the illusion comes from, and why it is
lawful, etc.

> But once you assume digital mechanism,
>
> If arithmetic can't create other worlds, it throws grave doubt that digital
> mechanism is true. AG

It “creates” all computations, which includes (as we assume mechanism here) all
the computations simulating your brain right now. We don’t need an ontological
physical universe, once we can explain the physical laws in terms of histories
which are emulated in arithmetic. We need only to test if the statistics
obtained match what we see. (And thanks to QM-without-collapse), ir fits rather
well up to now.

> and once you understand that the simple arithmetical truth emulates all
> computations, you can understand that arithmetic create the experience of
> space-time, and indeed, with, apparently until now, the right redundancy
> which explain the “many-world” aspect of the physical reality, and that is
> confirmed mathematically, in the sense that we recover quantum logic for the
> logic of experimental s-certainty, relatively to the computational states
> accessible from arithmetic, by universal numbers/machines “living” in there.
> The quantum is explained by the digital “seen from inside”. We get the qubits
> for the bits when seen from the bits, roughly speaking.
>> BTW, what's your definition of physicalism? AG
> The idea that physics is the fundamental science.
>
> With mechanism, this does not work, (I can show this), and we have to explain
> the “illusion of a physical world” by a statistic on all machine “dreams",
> where a dream is just a computation rich enough to support a “self-aware
> observer”
>
> So, with a false theory of mechanism, or digital mechanism, and arithmetic
> which you admit can't create space (and probably time as well), you claim to
> derive a self-aware observer? AG

Yes, because that is an attribute of the person attached to the machine, and I
got them by using the oldest definition of the knower, given by Theaetetus to
socrates. Socrates demolish that theory, but the incompleteness theorem refutes
Socrates’ refutation. I model rational belief by Gödel’s provability predicate,
which is a normal thing to do, because incompleteness prevents it to be a
knowledge predicate, and so it is a sort of rational belief.
"I know p” is modelled by “(I prove) p and p’. That obeys the axiom of
knowledge, but also make the “knower” non nameable, which confirms many
theories already existing, and is a startling feature of knowledge, which
appears to be non definable by the machine, and private.

> (which can be defined in arithmetic by a consistent machine having enough
> rich cognitive abilities (precisely: believing in enough induction axioms, if
> you have heard about theories like Peano arithmetic, or Zermelo-Fraenkel set
> theory, those are typical examples of such digital (immaterial) machine.
>
> Yes, I am aware of those axioms, and, as I have written, Peano's axioms imply
> arithmetic, but not IMO, of other worlds. AG

I write PA for Peano’s axiom (or theorems).

Concerning the (standard) model of arithmetic, PA can only scratch the surface,
and ZF, despite proving much more, can also only scratch the surface of the
arithmetical reality/standard-model.

But  PA you can prove the existence of an infinity of computations going
through your state right now, and that includes your feeling that there is a
physical universe out there, but in this case, we know that it is not the case,
and so it could be “not the case” for you right here and now too.

You miss the work of the logicians in the 1930s, that is the discovery in
mathematics, and then in arithmetic, of the universal machines and all its
activities.

Just to give a little example, you can encode the truth that “the machine
register ( a, b , c) contains b, by the arithmetical proposition saying that
the number (3^b divides A, and (3^b+1) does not) with:

A = (2^”a”)*(3^”b”)*(5^”c”), with 2, 3, 5, … being the prime factors, so that
we can exploit the prime factorisation theorem (truth) to be sure this is not
ambiguous. The expression “a”, “b” , “c” denotes some preliminary encoding of
the letters a, b and c with numbers.

A universal machine cannot see or feel the difference between being run by this
or that universal machinery, and the theory eventually predict that below its
substitution level, she has to see the symptoms of infinitely many histories,
coming from all computations, run in arithmetic, going through your state and
having refined description of the computations. We can come back on this.

Bruno