On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 7:46:10 AM UTC-5, Lawrence Crowell wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 12:47:56 PM UTC-5, Philip Thrift wrote:

>>> When we get into subtleties of ZF set theory we get into the application
>>> of axioms, eg the axiom of replacement, axiom of infinity, axiom of choice
>>> etc, that have a limited bearing on most standard mathematics. This means
>>> physics is even further removed. Transfinite numbers and the question of
>>> א_0 ≤ c ≤ 2^א_0 or the continuum hypothesis has a role with Robinson’s
>>> numbers. These are in a sense the reciprocals of transfinite numbers or the
>>> continuum. This has some bearing in the foundations of calculus, though I
>>> am far from familiar with this. I am not sure what possible role this could
>>> have for physics.
>>>
>>> Infinite mathematical quantities are common in physics. The 2-dim CFT is
>>> Virasoro which is a Witt algebra extended to infinite dimensions with a
>>> kernel. This does not though mean physics predicts the measurement of
>>> infinite quantities  A Hilbert space may have an infinite number of states,
>>> but that does not mean we expect to measure a quantum state with N → ∞.
>>>
>>> LC
>>>

>> Permitting entities in its language is a )perhaps the major) problem with
>> the current approach to theoretical physics and which most physicists seem
>> oblivious to. It is a form of double-speak to say there are no infinities
>> but then make theories based on them ... unless they are introduced in a
>> theoretically appropriate manner, which has yet been done.
>>
>> The continuum threatens us with infinities:
>>
>> But even if we take a hard-headed practical attitude and leave logic to
>> the
>> logicians, our struggles with the continuum are not over. In fact, the
>> infinitely
>> divisible nature of the real line—the existence of arbitrarily small real
>> numbers—is a serious challenge to physics.
>>
>> We have seen that in every major theory of physics, challenging
>> mathematical
>> questions arise from the assumption that spacetime is a continuum. The
>> continuum threatens us with infinities. Do these infinities threaten our
>> ability to
>> extract predictions from these theories—or even our ability to formulate
>> these
>> theories in a precise way? We can answer these questions, but only with
>> hard
>> work. Is this a sign that we are somehow on the wrong track? Is the
>> continuum as we understand it only an approximation to some deeper model of
>> spacetime?
>>
>> Only time will tell. Nature is providing us with plenty of clues, but it
>> will take
>> patience to read them correctly.
>>
>> *Struggles with the Continuum*
>> John C. Baez
>> https://arxiv.org/abs/1609.01421v4
>> https://arxiv.org/pdf/1609.01421v4.pdf
>>

>> @philipthrift
>>

> In a funny way quantum mechanics may rescue this situation. The Fermi and
> [...]

Following John Baez (Struggling with the continuum: "Is the continuum as we
understand it only an approximation [sic] to some deeper model of
spacetime?") and Max Tegmark ("use only finite computer resources by
treating everything as finite") leads one to get away from the 1800s ε - δ
model to modern programmatic alternatives:

Within https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_differentiation

*Operational calculus on programming spaces*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_differentiation#Operational_calculus_on_programming_spaces

"Operational calculus on programming spaces provides differentiable
programming with formal semantics through an algebra of higher-order
constructs. It can thus be used to express the concepts underlying
automatic differentiation."

ref: https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.07690

In this work we present a theoretical model for differentiable programming.
We construct an algebraic language that encapsulates formal semantics of
differentiable programs by way of Operational Calculus. The algebraic
nature of Operational Calculus can alter the properties of the programs
that are expressed within the language and transform them into their
solutions.

In our model programs are elements of programming spaces and viewed as maps
from the virtual memory space to itself. Virtual memory space is an algebra
of programs, an algebraic data structure one can calculate with. We define
the operator of differentiation (∂) on programming spaces and, using its
powers, implement the general shift operator and the operator of program
composition. We provide the formula for the expansion of a differentiable
program into an infinite tensor series in terms of the powers of ∂. We
express the operator of program composition in terms of the generalized
shift operator and ∂, which implements a differentiable composition in the
language. Such operators serve as abstractions over the tensor series
algebra, as main actors in our language.

@philipthrift