On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 7:36 PM Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>
wrote:

> I thought the principle came from antisymmetry of fermionic pairwise
> wavefunctions. If two fermions occupied the same state, then
> antisymmetry is impossible. Bosons have symmetric pairwise
> wavefunctions (you can swap two bosons, and nothing changes), hence it
> is possible to have more than one boson in the same state.

As I recall it, this is completely right. I think it all goes back to the
nature of the 4-component spinors of Dirac theory -- rotation by 360
degrees changes the sign, necessitating the antisymmetric nature of the
quantum state. Fermi-Dirac statistics, and as has been said, the
fundamental spin-statistics theorem.

Bruce