On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 4:50:55 PM UTC-6, Lawrence Crowell wrote:

> There is no global meaning to energy conservation. There is the
> Hamiltonian constraint Nℌ = 0, which just says that for a local region
> where the lapse function can be parallel translated to the energy is zero.
> This is for Petrov type O solutions
>
> Nℌ = 0 = ½(da/dt)^2 - 4πGρa^2/3c^3 - k
>
> Which leads to the FLRW constraint
>
> (a’/a)^2 = 8πGρ/3c^3 – k/a^2 a’ = da/dt
>
> Where the Hubble parameter H = 70km/s-Mpc  is (a’/a)^2 = H^2. This means
> that in a local region we have energy conservation FAPP. The difficulty is
> this is not a property of the symmetries of the system so we have no way to
> extend this globally.
>
> What this ultimately means is that all physics is local. It does not mean
> we have mass-energy locally vanishing. The apparent increase in the kinetic
> energy due to expansion is well enough compensated for by a decease in
> gravitational potential energy.

This is the claim, but I haven't seen any proof of it. Do you have one?
Take a planet. Can you show that Mc^2, where M is the planet's mass, is
equal to its negative gravitational potential energy? AG

> There is nothing mysterious going on here. All this means is there is a
> limitation or horizon to our ability to know if there are global symmetries
> to the universe. As such there is no meaning to conservation principles.

We can estimate the volume of the observable universe and its average
mass-energy density. So it seems we can estimate its total energy. Does
that energy remain constant or not as the universe expands? This seems like
a reasonable question to ask. AG