On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:06:12 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 11:20 AM Lawrence Crowell <
> goldenfield...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 1:57:19 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>>> I can see why you might think this, but it is actually not the case. My
>>> main point is to reject subjectivist notions of probability:  probabilities
>>> in QM are clearly objective -- there is an objective decay rate (or
>>> half-life) for any radioactive nucleus; there is a clearly objective
>>> probability for that spin to be measured up rather than down in a
>>> Stern-Gerlach magnet; and so on.
>>>

>> Objective probabilities are frequentism.
>>

> Rubbish. Popper's original propensity ideas may have had frequentist
> overtones, but we can certainly move beyond Popper's outdated thinking. An
> objective probability is one that is an intrinsic property of an object,
> such as a radio-active nucleus. One can use relative frequencies or
> Bayesian updating to estimate these intrinsic probabilities experimentally.
> But neither relative frequencies nor Bayesian updating of subjective
> beliefs actually define what the probabilities are in quantum mechanics.

Probability and statistics are in part an empirical subject. This is not
pure mathematics, and it is one reason why there is no single foundation.
It would be as if linear algebra or any area of mathematics had two
competing axiomatic foundation. There are also subdivisions in the
frequentist and subjectivist camps, particularly the first of these.

Quantum mechanics computes probabilities not according to some idea of
incomplete knowledge, but according to amplitudes. There is no lack of
information from the perspective of the observer or analyst, but it is
intrinsic. From what I can see this means it is irrelevant whether one
adopts a Bayesian or frequentist perspective. The division between these
two approaches to probability correlate somewhat with interpretations of QM
that are ψ-ontic (aligned with frequentist) and ψ-epistemic (aligned with
Bayesian).
The divisions between the two camps amongst statisticians is amazingly
sharp and almost hostile. I think the issues is somewhat irrelevant.

LC