> On 23 May 2020, at 01:31, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 6:48 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com
> <mailto:jasonre...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> If Holebo's theorem remains fundamental problems, then let's move everything
> into virtual reality, and repeat the experiment.
>
> In one case your friend's mind file is deleted and restored from a backup,
> and in another he continued without interruption. Do not the same conclusions
> I suggest follow?
>

> Thought experiments in virtual reality (where you get to make up the laws of
> physics) have no relevance for the world we observe.

It is relevant once you assume the minimal amount of Mechanism to make sense of
Darwin, or of Everett, etc.

If you assume a primitive physical reality, you have to put something non
Turing emulable in the brain so that it can differentiate being run by that
physical reality from being run by arithmetic (which run all computations, with
a specific redundancy from which the physical appearances proceed. But then,
adding that non Turing emulable composant in the brain makes you violating
Mechanism.

At least you are coherent. Unlike some others here, you don’t try to defend
both Mechanism and (weak) Materialism (the existence of some ontological
material reality). Now, I don’t think that there is any evidences for such
primary matter, and a lot of evidence for Mechanism (from Darwin to QM
many-histories).

Bruno