Am Fr, 12. Jun 2020, um 18:39, schrieb 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List:

> On 6/12/2020 2:55 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've been reading here often the claim that physics is about the "real
>> stuff" and math is a human construction that helps us make sense of the real
>> stuff, but it is just an approximation of reality. So here's a thought
>> experiment on this topic.
>>
>> Let us imagine I program a digital computer to keep iterating through all
>> possible integer values greater than 2 of the variables a, b, c and n. If
>> the following condition is satisfied:
>>
>> a^n + b^n = c^n
>>
>> then the computer turns on a light. I let it run for one year. Will the
>> light turn on during that year?
>>
>> So my questions are:
>>
>> (1) Can you use theoretical physics to make a correct prediction?
>
> Yes. Theory of theoretical physics includes arithmetic and in fact your
> question assumes it.

So we can conclude that arithmetic is part of physical reality, at least as
much as any other thing that physics talks about?

>> (2) Can you use math to make a correct prediction?
>
> Not unless the math can predict how fast the computer runs

It doesn't matter how fast the computer runs, and we know this thanks to a
mathematical proof, not a theory in physics. And that's how we know how this
particular physical system will behave.

>  and how reliable it is.

If we use Newton's laws to predict the movement of a ball, we assume that
someone will not show up and kick it around, that the ball is not unbalanced,
etc. Maybe I can suggest a system with an uneven number of redundant computers
and such a simple voting mechanism that a probability of failure is
infinitesimal, like NASA used to do. It can even be geographically distributed.
The voting mechanism itself can become decentralized, something like the
bitcoin network. Or I can become more creative and look for some
Turing-complete phenomena in nature. You get my point.

Telmo.