> On 20 Jun 2020, at 02:01, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 6/19/2020 9:35 AM, John Clark wrote:
>> A gene called "ARHGAP11B" that is found in humans and in no other animal has
>> long been thought to be at least partially responsible for humans having an
>> extremely large brain with a high degree of cortical folding. All other
>> primates have a similar gene, but a point mutation happened between 500,000
>>            and 1.5 million years ago and a single C was changed to a G in
>> the human version. In yesterday's issue of the journal Science researchers
>> report than when Genetic engineering was used to insert the human gene
>> ARHGAP11B into the fertilized egg of a small monkey (a marmoset ) the result
>> was a fetus with about 45% more neurons in the neocortex than a normal fetus
>> and 3 times as many glial cells. A marmoset gestation period is 152 days but
>> because it had a human gene in it the fetus was aborted after just 101 days
>> due to ethical guidelines, so it's not known how such an animal's behavior
>> would change if it was allowed to come to term.
>>
>> Human-specific ARHGAP11B increases size and folding of primate neocortex in
>> the fetal marmoset
>> <https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/06/17/science.abb2401>
>
> So one gene made it necessary to abort because it might have a
> humaness...which you must not abort because humaness implies a soul??
>
> How did our ethical guidelines become so irrational?

Easy. By forbidden or mocking the use of reason in the field for a Lon period
of time.

The ethic question is “do you accept that your daughter marry an ape, or a pig,
genetically modified, and which, actually has a PhD thesis in the cognitive
science, or physics, or whatever …?

Should we consider as racist someone answering no to that question?

Bruno