> [...]
>>
>> 2) no consistent theory can prove the existence of a model of itself
>>
>> That is why, if a machine develop a belief in some reality (satisfying its
>> beliefs), she cannot justify such a belief and it will require some faith.
>>
>> That is also why if a machine asserts she knows that such a reality exists,
>> she became inconsistent.
>>

>>> but he doesn't understand the reason.  He writes as though it's because
>>> science hasn't answered questions about the origin of life, the origin of
>>> the universe, etc.  But those are scientific questions
>> The existence of the universe is a metaphysical question, or a theological
>> one. And yes, those are scientific question in the sense that we can build
>> theories and test them.
>>
>> I can agree that physics explains the origin of life, but with mechanism,
>> this explanation works then number or combinator theory explains the origin
>> of the laws of physics, and the progress is that we go from the theology of
>> Aristotle (God = Matter) to the theology of Pythagorus (revised by
>> Gödel-Löb-Solovay) and (God = Number).
>>

>>> and it won't make any difference when they are answered.
>> It has to, at least for those who say “yes” to the doctor, like the
>> transhumanists, or the sick or wounded guy who want see the next soccer cup
>> (when the technology is available).
>>
>> Mechanist has its practice, like to put your “soul” on a hard-disk, or to
>> upload yourself on the cyberspace…
>>
>> At the same time, you can “know”, without the ability of not disbelieving
>> this intuitively, that “you” are already there..
>>

>>> Religion (as sociologists all say) exists to explain why a community's
>>> ethos is validated and mandated by the universe.
>> Religion is the belief in a “universe”. It is the belief in some “One”.
>>
>> The relation between the ethos and that One is simply the idea that justice
>> requires truth, and eventually is a problem of right.
>>

>>> A community needs to cooperate on a lot of things.  Some of them can be
>>> justified/explained by functionality.  But there are others that are
>>> somewhat arbitrary.
>> The universal machines are stuck in between security and freedom, and in
>> between collaborating or not, without the common hesitation between being to
>> eat and being eaten, yes, already in the first person limit in the
>> arithmetical reality (which is analytical viewed from inside).
>>
>> Mechanism generalises human to (universal, Löbian) number, or ‘number. By
>> ‘number I will mean any object denoted by the terms of a Turing complete
>> first order theory.
>>

>>> And there are many local optima in the social space.  It's religion,
>>> including "civil religion" that re-enforces these.
>> Religion is just the belief in a reality beyond our consciousness
>> here-and-now, and some impulse to share it with the others.
>>
>> Religion is the only goal.
>
> Are you aware that some religions make it a sin to drink coffee?  Do you
> think some scientific discovery will change this?

Are you aware that some “sciences" makes it a crime to eat some brownies?

10.000 papers, in serious journals, on the therapeutic benefits of cannabis has
not succeeded in making cannabis out of the schedule 1 category, which is for
the products with no medical applications.
All this adds reasons to be more serious in health and science/religion.

So no. I don’t think that a scientific discovery can change a religion or a
science based on dogma, and even less so when the dogma are motivated by power
and is used to steal money.

But when religion will come back to the scientific attitude, then such problems
will go away. What will be left will be just the usual criminal activity. If we
get serious in science/religion, it will be harder for criminals to misuse them
for egocentric interest.

Religion is the model in the logician’s sense. It comes from the machine
intuition that there is some reality beyond consciousness, and this is
illustrated from the tension between truth, and the soul (S4Grz), and the
intellect (G), and the “true intellect” (G*). Religion comes from the
experience of “science” discovering its limitation.The “meaning” comes from the
Model/Reality satisfying the Theory, not from the Theory, which can and should
always been improved.

Religion is the belief in some reality. The religion of the sound machine can
never be rationally justified by the sound machine to which it is applied. All
universal machine with a bit of inductive beliefs cannot avoid it. Babies
believe they have a Mother. They might be right, you know.

Bruno