On 9/8/2020 10:51 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 14:56, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 2:49 PM Stathis Papaioannou
    <stath...@gmail.com <mailto:stath...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 12:35, Bruce Kellett
        <bhkellet...@gmail.com <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:

            On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 12:32 PM Stathis Papaioannou
            <stath...@gmail.com <mailto:stath...@gmail.com>> wrote:

                On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 11:53, Bruce Kellett
                <bhkellet...@gmail.com <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>>
                wrote:

                    On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 11:39 AM 'Brent Meeker' via
                    Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com
                    <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

                        On 9/8/2020 6:14 PM, smitra wrote:
                        > On 09-09-2020 02:16, Bruce Kellett wrote:

                        >> I don't find that answer convincing,
                        because of the implicit dualist
                        >> assumption. A perfectly reasonable answer
                        to the question asked the
                        >> night before duplication is: "I won't be in
                        a room tomorrow morning,
                        >> because when I am duplicated with 100
                        continuers, I cease to exist and
                        >> each of the continuers becomes a new,
                        separate person. This is because
                        >> there is a tie among the continuers, with
                        no closest continuer. In
                        >> that situation, the original ceases, and
                        the continuers are separate
                        >> persons."
                        >>
                        >> Now you might not like this answer, but it
                        is perfectly coherent and
                        >> rational. It has the great advantage that
                        it avoids the stench of
                        >> dualism that hangs over your theory.
                        >>
                        >> Bruce
                        >>

                        > The tie will be broken by small random
                        fluctuations in the physical
                        > states of the copies.

                        Dualism would imply that one and only one of
                        the duplicates has your
                        soul and is "you".  I see no problem is just
                        saying they are Bruce
                        Kellet-1, Bruce Kellet-2,... Bruce
                        Kellet-100.  They all remember the
                        bet, and assuming their stake is duplicated
                        too, they each either get
                        $100 or lose $25.  The existence of more than
                        one Bruce Kellet certainly
                        creates problems in law and language.  But law
                        and language are invented
                        to deal with reality, not define it.

                    You are right about what dualism implies. So if
                    you ask the question of the person the night
                    before duplication, it has no answer unless you
                    assume dualism. I think you are right about
                    multiple BKs: BK1, BK2,... and so on. These are
                    different persons who share some memories with the
                    BK of the night before. Closest continuer theory
                    works well in these duplication scenarios, despite
                    the fact that people on this list seem averse to
                    that theory for some undefined reason.

                You could say that any suggestion that one of the BK's
                is a continuation of the original, even when there is
                only one BK extant at any time, implies dualism.

            Not on the closest continuer theory. If there is a tie,
            there is no unique closest continuer. If there is only one
            continuer, he is necessarily the closest. Dualism is not
            required.

        But why should the closest continuer be a continuation of the
        person rather than the next-closest continuer, unless the soul
        has a preference for it?

    Be a dualist if you want to. But the closest continuer theory is a
    convention designed to resolve questions of personal identity in
    cases of personal duplication, absent a "soul". Arbitrary random
    selections are not as satisfactory.

I'm not a dualist. I think there is no metaphysical basis for continuity of identity, it is just a psychological construct.

Realistically (sort of) in the duplication of Bruce there will be millions of errors in each copy.  There would be no point in trying to make them any more accurate.  That would certainly be good enough to fool his closest friends and family.  So at the molecular level there will certainly be a unique closest continuer.  But I can't see that it makes any difference.  That's just as arbitrary as denominating the first one to open his door the REAL Bruce.