> On 10 Sep 2020, at 20:29, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 9/10/2020 3:14 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>> My own feeling is like Nozick's, which is best expressed by the old
>>> American statement: "Close enough for government work.”
>>
>> OK. But that is utilitarianism. You cannot be serious on this, or you are
>> mixing religion/moral/ethics with politics and the state, which should not
>> be done (in a democracy). Justice needs truth (or the honest research of the
>> truth), but truth cannot be declared to be juste at will, that would be
>> wishful thinking.
>
> It's not mixing religion/moral/ethics with politics and the state.  The
> phrase means "It will serve.  Get on with things."  similar to "Perfection is
> the enemy of the good.”

"Perfection is the enemy of the good.” Is true in the human practical affairs,
but that is not relevant in metaphysics, where we reason from precise
hypotheses to get testable predictions and refute theories. The closest
continuer theory is wrong when we assume Digital Mechanism. If you bet Moscow
because it is far closer to Helsinki than Washington, you will be in trouble,
and also, you will prevent finding the Born Rule or the Mechanist corresponding
one, at the start.

Bruno