On 10/13/2020 3:12 PM, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 4:13:05 PM UTC-5 Brent wrote:

    On 10/13/2020 1:34 PM, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
    On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 3:28:21 PM UTC-5 Lawrence Crowell
    wrote:

        On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 3:26:14 PM UTC-5 Lawrence
        Crowell wrote:

            I will try to give a definitive answer. The Schwarzschild
            metric is

            ds^2 = c^2(1 – 2m/r)dt^2 – (1 – 2m/r)dr^2 – r^2(dθ^2 –
            sin^2θdφ^2)

            for m = GM/c^2. For the motion of a satellite in a
            circular orbit there is no radial motion so dr = 0. We
            set this on a plane with θ = π/2 so dθ = 0 and this
            reduces this to

            ds^2 =c^2(1 – 2m/r)dt^2 – r^2dφ^2.

            For circular motion dφ/dt = ω and the velocity v = ωr
            means this is

            ds^2 = [c^2(1 – 2m/r) – r^2ω^2]dt^2

            and so ds^2 = [c^2(1 – 2m/r) – v^2]dt^2 the term Γ =
            1/√[c^2(1 – 2m/r) – v^2] is a general Lorentz gamma
            factor and in flat space with m = 0 reduces the form we
            know. ds is an increment in the proper time on the
            orbiting satellite and t is a coordinate time, say on the
            ground of the body.

    Another erratum. The coordinate time t is for a clock very far
    removed, not on the ground. On the ground that clock ticks away
    with a factor  Γ = 1/√[c^2 – v^2] change. So there is a relative
    time difference.

    A clock on the ground is also moving with rotation of the Earth,
    with different speed at different latitudes. This is taken out of
    the equations by comparing the GPS clock to ideal clocks on a
    fixed (non-rotating Earth) and then after GPS calculates the
    location on the non-rotating Earth, it calculates what point this
    is on the rotating Earth.

    Brent

This gets really complicated. I did a lot of post-Newtonian parameter work on this back in the late 80s. A lot of it was numerical, because on the ground there are different values of gravity, and these too can cause drift. Gravitation, thinking of a Newtonian force, is different near a mountain than on the top of it, and the direction can vary some from the radius. It also fluctuates with tides! The surging in and out of a lot of ocean water actually changes the Newtonian gravitation potential and force.

LC

And it's further complicated by the Earth being non-spherical.  The calculations find the lat/long of a WGS84 ellipsoid.  But of course the real Earth isn't exactly an WGS84 ellipsoid either and there have to be local corrections in look-up tables.  Off the coast of California where I used to be involved in developing sea-skimming targets the WGS84 "sea level" is about 120ft under water.

Brent

            We can do more with this. The ds^2 = [c^2(1 – 2m/r) –
            r^2dφ^2]dt^2 can be written as

            1 = [c^2(1 – 2m/r) – r^2ω^2](dt/ds)^2

            Now take a variation on this, where obviously δ1 = 0 and

            0 = [c^2δ(1 – 2m/r) – δ(r^2ω^2)](dt/ds)^2 + [c^2(1 –
            2m/r) – r^2ω^2]δ(dt/ds)^2.

            We think primarily of a variation in the radius and so

            0 = -[ 2mc^2/r^2 – 2rω^2](dt/ds)^2δr + [c^2(1 – 2m/r) –
            r^2ω^2]δ(dt/ds)^2,

            where for the time I will ignore the last term.  The
            first term gives

            rω^2 = -GM/r,

        I mean rω^2 = -GM/r^2

            and this is just Newton’s second law with acceleration a
            = rω^2 with gravity. Also this is Kepler's third law of
            planetary motion.

            Now I will hand wave a bit here. The term δ(dt/ds)^2 = 1
            in the Newtonian limit, but we can feed the general
            Lorentz gamma factor in that. This will have a correction
            term to this dynamical equation. This correction is
            general relativistic. The algebra gets a bit dense, but
            it is nothing conceptually difficult.

            LC

            On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 9:17:37 AM UTC-5