"Again an idea of Einstein’s gave me the lead. He had tried to make the duality
of particles - light quanta or photons - and waves comprehensible by
interpreting the square of the optical wave amplitudes as probability density
for the occurrence of photons. This concept could at once be carried over to
the psi-function: |psi|^2 ought to represent the probability density for
electrons (or other particles). It was easy to assert this, but how could it be
proved?"--Max Born, Nobel lecture, 1954