From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Nov 24, 2021 7:44 am
Subject: NYTimes.com: NASA Launches New Mission: Crash Into Asteroid, Defend
Planet Earth

Some may say it's silly for NASA to spend money to protect people from as
remote a danger as an asteroid strike but I don't think so. Impact by an
asteroid larger than 10 km would kill nearly every human on the planet but one
that big only comes along about once every hundred million years, so if you
figure a lifetime of 70 years that means there's about one chance in 1.5
million of one of those behemoths killing you. A much smaller asteroid might
only kill 1/1000  as many people but it would be about 1000 times more common,
so one of those little guys would have about an equal chance of ending your
lifetime early. One chance in 700,000 or so may still seem too low to worry
about but it's slightly higher than your chances of being killed by a
terrorist, and we've already spent many trillions of dollars trying to reduce
that figure, so it doesn't seem terribly extravagant to me if NASA spends a few
hundred million dollars to try to reduce the asteroid danger.

John K Clark
==From The New York Times:

NASA Launches New Mission: Crash Into Asteroid, Defend Planet Earth

The Double Asteroid Redirection Test spacecraft, launched on Wednesday, could
be the first to alter an asteroid’s path, a technique that may be used to
defend the planet in the future.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/24/science/nasa-dart-mission-asteroid.html?smid=em-share--

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv032wFDjaxK82Az9ZXqgJ_3eq9wRpcD%2BVxebaKe2c%2BT3g%40mail.gmail.com.