Ridiculous apples-and-oranges comparison between power-hungry leaders of
authoritarian political regimes like Hitler and Stalin and scientists like
Galileo and Newton. How about Einstein, Darwin or Feynman, all of them
nonbelievers in the Judeo-Christian God, would you consider them strident
and humorless? (also, although Newton was not an authoritarian I think he
was a bit humorless as a man, he got into a lot of nasty feuds with fellow
scientists/mathematicians like Hooke and Leibniz and Flamsteed, see
https://www.uh.edu/engines/epi3015.htm and
https://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1375.htm and
https://mathshistory.st-andrews.ac.uk/Extras/Flamsteed_Newton/ )