On 2/27/2022 12:52 PM, John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 2:50 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

    /<"Possible" is a rather ill defined concept and "everything
    possible" is even worse. /

I would say a useful definition of "possible" is the set of things or relationships that do not produce contradictions.

How could a set of things produce contradictions.  Contradiction is a relation of propositions, not things.  I'm surprised that you a strong advocate of examples over definitions would not have noticed that there are no examples of contradictory things.

Brent

I would also say it's easier to describe everything than to describe a particular smaller subset of the possible, for example less information is required to describe all the infinite digits of π than to describe only the first trillion digits of π and no more. And nobody knows if the laws of physics that are different from those that we observe (such as by having different fundamental constants) produce contradictions or not, nobody knows if that's possible. John K Clark    See what's on my new list at Extropolis <https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>
gco

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1G-i%2BSMmt-01A7cH8fV%2BOCAF0cFkXQDVrWP%3DDsWVGT4A%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1G-i%2BSMmt-01A7cH8fV%2BOCAF0cFkXQDVrWP%3DDsWVGT4A%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.