On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 8:32 PM Lawrence Crowell <
goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com> wrote:

When Conservation of Energy FAILS! (Noether's Theorem)
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnGYMe6GBeQ>
>>

>  >> *I disagree with his statement about the CMB, for the most part. The
> universe early on when it was radiation dominate was gravitation dominated
> by radiation.*The radiation was red shifted and that energy in a sense
> went into gravitational potential energy.

I agree you can redefine what energy means so that it includes the energy
in radiation and in matter and in the gravitational field, but I don't see
the point of doing so, because you'd end up with something different than
what we intuitively think of as energy and you end up with something that
is pretty useless because, although you could say how much of this
redefined "energy" there was in the entire universe, you still couldn't say
how much of this "energy" there was in the curvature of spacetime at every
point, so the density of gravitational energy would remain undefined. So
this new redefined "energy" would be of no help in trying to figure out how
things work. I think it would be better to just say energy is **usually**
conserved, but like every law of physics (except maybe the second law of
thermodynamics) there are regions of applicability where it doesn't apply,
such as when things get very small for General Relativity, or when gravity
becomes important for Quantum Mechanics.

>  If the spatial surface of the universe is an ℝ^3 then the expansion of
> the space makes no difference. There is an infinite vacuum energy and it
> just keeps expanding into itself.

That's possible but it seems to me it would violate Occam's razor, the
curvature of space in our visible universe can be uniquely defined
internally without hypothesizing it's the surface of a higher dimensional
object,  Gauss prove that with his "Theorema Egregium" nearly 200 years ago.

gte