On Sun, Nov 6, 2022 at 8:37 PM <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

*> So, what would you recommend to the leaders of the US to do based on
> your current knowledge?*

The recently passed Chips And Technology bill that gives federal aid to
constructing domestic chip fabrication factories will help, but it's only
$10 billion and a lot more than that will be needed and even that modest
request had to withstand vigorous political opposition despite the fact
that a secure source for the most advanced silicon microprocessors is vital
for the national security, and one short range drone attack from China
armed with just a few hundred pounds of conventional explosives on just one
building could bring the world's economy to its knees.

On the bright side Intel seems serious about regaining the ground it lost
in manufacturing expertise, everybody is desperate to get one of ASML's
next generation EUV Lithography Machines when they become available in
about two years but Intel, not Taiwan's TSMC, has the contract to receive
the very first one.

Intel orders ASML system for well over $340 mln in quest for chipmaking edge
<https://www.reuters.com/technology/intel-orders-asml-machine-still-drawing-board-chipmakers-look-an-edge-2022-01-19/>

xxr