Arguing with Philip Benjamin is about like arguing with a MAGA type. There
is no point to it. Ben makes this statement about forest fires, but cites
no credible reference and makes a quote of 78 trillion tons with no
qualification of a time frame or anything else.

Crichton was anti-AGW, and he objected to what might be called big science.
It is an unavoidable aspect of science that putting the next big space
telescope at the L1 point, or the next higher energy collider, or a
comprehensive model of Earth climate with ground data all require a large
science labor-pool and lots of money.

I am not politically involved with environmental issues. The problem is
that those who run things are out to make a profit no matter what, and if
the world ends --- so be it. The average intelligence of people does not
help much. and too many people are committed to various propagandistic
nonsense, which is usually of some strange nationalism or religious agenda.
Ben is a bit of an outlier, but he is in the mix. He is also a sort of
religious lunatic who probably has some idea of becoming a kind of prophet
or guru who gathers followers. The situation is screwed.

Do not worry. In 20 million years life will be doing just fine on Earth.
Our engineered mass extinction will be in the past and we will be gone ---
just one more failed experiment on the Darwinian game table.

LC