On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 9:06 PM <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

*> What we seem to need is a Singularity where we get breakthroughs in
> materials science, and medicine. I will guess that only when LMM's and
> other devices merge with low-error, high capacity quantum computers is when
> this will happen.*

Practical Quantum Computers would just be icing on the cake. I now believe
with 98% certainty (by that I mean that if I was a betting man I would give
98% odds on it happening), that the Singularity will happen in less than 20
years with or without the help of Quantum Computers. And probably much
less. And possibly much much less. I would not have had the courage to make
that prediction one year ago, or even 4 months ago, but one hell of a lot
has happened in the last few months.

Sam Altman said "*The future can be almost unimaginably great*" and I agree
with him about that, in fact I'd change the "can be" to "will be'', but I'm
not at all certain if it will be unimaginably good or unimaginably bad for
the human race. The only thing I'm certain of is that we live in
interesting times, if things beyond that could be predicted with certainty
then it wouldn't be a Singularity.

wbs