On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 3:18 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>ME: Any calculation involving quantum mechanics could be done billions or
>> trillions of times faster on a quantum computer. It's easy to calculate the
>> light spectrum of hydrogen, the simplest element, but doing the same thing
>> for helium the second simplest , requires months of calculations on the
>> largest supercomputer on earth, and the sun will turn into a red giant
>> before such a computer could calculate the spectrum of one of the heavier
>> elements. And trying to figure out what spectrum molecules will produce is
>> even more difficult.
>

> > *Yes, some things are faster to measure than to calculate.  And I note
> that recently a classical algorithm was found for folding of proteins
> (which was formerly touted as THE application for quantum computation): *

True. We have quantum algorithms that can solve problems much faster than
any known classical algorithm, however nobody has been able to prove that
there is not a classical algorithm that can solve any problem just as fast
as the quantum variety that we just haven't found yet. The reason we
haven't been able to prove that is because nobody has been able to prove
that P≠ NP even though nearly every mathematician alive believes that
nondeterministic polynomial problems (problems that are hard to calculate
but easy to check) can *NOT* be solved in polynomial time (problems with N
elements in which the time required to solve increases as N gets larger as
X^N, not  N^X). The P=NP question is perhaps the greatest unsolved problem
in all of mathematics; if despite everybody's expectations it turns out
that P really is equal to NP and if the algorithm could be found then it's
true, you wouldn't need quantum computers, the conventional variety would
work just as well. I could be wrong but I don't expect that to happen.

yum

w3x