On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:14 PM Jesse Mazer <laserma...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> The first three stories are about environmentalists protesting building
> wind/solar on land that it's important to indigenous groups*

I don't give a damn if they're indigenous or not, I don't see any reason
one group of people should be given more consideration than another And
Important? More important than global warming which, according to
environmentalists, is an existential threat to the entire planet? Never
before in the history of Earth have 8 billion individuals of the same
species that were as large as human beings existed, like it or not there is
simply no way to keep those 8 billion people alive, much less happy,
without a gargantuan amount of energy, and environmentalists have never
seen a source of energy that they didn't hate. Put it another way,
environmentalists are all in favor of any power source except for coal,
oil,natural gas, hydroelectric, solar, wind, geothermal and of course
nuclear. They say we can't stop global warming unless we make huge changes
and they're right about that, but if you make any huge change to society,
no matter how beneficial it is overall, it's inevitable that somebody
somewhere is going to be unjustly treated as a result of those changes.
Environmentalists say there is nothing more important than stopping global
warming but, regardless of how helpful a project may be in achieving that
lofty goal they are immediately ready to kill it the instant somebody,
anybody, says it will be built on land that he thinks an invisible man who
made the universe lives on and He wouldn't like it. Environmentalists are
dilettantes, they refuse to make the hard decisions that will be necessary
to solve huge problems. And that's why I say they are not serious people.

*> you would have to present an argument that there aren't equally good
> alternative places to build renewables that don't involve these problems,*

There is no such place, you will always find somebody who says building a
new power source of any sort anyplace will be an abomination because it
will endanger a snail, or upset a God, or be ugly, or be noisy, or kill
little birdies or do something they don't like.  And environmentalists
insist that we must act quickly. but also insist that before we so much as
put one brick on top of another we must go through endless environmental
commissions and long term studies, and even if the studies conclude that no
adverse environmental effects will occur there will always be somebody who
will disagree and say more study is needed before we do anything and you
could be sure that person will call himself an environmentalist.

*> Here is a study from the Nature Conservancy suggesting otherwise, saying
> that "With careful and coordinated planning and robust community
> engagement, the U.S. can build the clean energy infrastructure needed for
> economy-wide, net-zero emissions by 2050 while avoiding most impacts to
> sensitive natural and working lands":*

That sounds nice but I can guarantee the iinstant somebody decides to
actually build something  that could  help in achieving that difficult goal
the Nature Conservancy will insist we need more environmental studies
before we start building it, and of course  the Nature Conservancy will not
offer an alternate place to build it, but what they will do is complain we
are moving too slowly in solving the problem of global warming. As I said,
not serious people.

6dq
7tt