I have a theory about interest rates and I'd like to know what those who
know more about economics than I do think about it.

When it comes to economic forecasting the generally accepted beliefs that
an economy's population has is all important, and it doesn't even matter if
that belief is true. So on the day it becomes generally accepted that the
 AI singularity is near and a very drastic increase in productivity is
imminent I believe there will be a BIG increase in interest rates, because
a dollar in your pocket right now will be more important to you than a
million dollars will be in 20 years, even if you manage to survive the
singularity which you very will might not. And if you don't survive then
the value of a dollar to you will be precisely zero, so you might as well
spend it today and have a little fun and not loan it out. So regardless of
if you believe you will survive the singularity or not, for you to be
willing to loan me a dollar today if you were a logical you would demand
that I give you many many more dollars tomorrow as repayment. Put it
another way, in a few years a dollar will enable you to buy far more stuff
than it can today, so you'd want to save your money and not lend it out
unless you were given a very big reason to do so, such as an astronomically
high interest-rate.

If I'm right about this then that would mean those who think they are being
conservative and safe by investing in low interest government or corporate
bonds will be disappointed because the value of all low interest
investments that are supposed to be safe will crash. But that leads to
another question that I don't have a clear answer to, even if I decide to
save my money and not loan it out, how am I supposed to safely do that?
I'm sure some will immediately say "gold" but I have no reason to believe
that in a post singularity world that particular metal will be
significantly more valuable than iron. Iron is much more common than gold
but iron is also much more useful than gold.

John K Clark See what's on my new list at  Extropolis
6bx