On 11/29/2023 4:58 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Wed, Nov 29, 2023, 7:17 PM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

    On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 10:49 PM Stathis Papaioannou
    <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

        On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 at 12:34, Bruce Kellett
        <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

            On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 12:02 PM Stathis Papaioannou
            <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

                The Born rule allows you to calculate the probability
                of what outcome you will see in a Universe where all
                outcomes occur.

            You are still conflating incompatible theories. The Born
            rule is a rule for calculating probabilities from the wave
            function -- it says nothing about worlds or existence. MWI
            is a theory about the existence of many worlds. These
            theories are incompatible, and should not be conflated.

        “The Born rule is a rule for calculating probabilities from
        the wave function -- it says nothing about worlds or
        existence”  -and- “MWI is a theory about the existence of many
        worlds” are not incompatible statements.

    Perhaps that is the wrong way to look at it. The linearity of the
    Schrodinger equation implies that the individuals on all branches
    are the same: there is nothing to distinguish one of them as "you"
    and the others as mere shadows or zombies. In other words, they
    are all "you". So you are the person on the branch with all spins
    up and your probability of seeing this result is one, since this
    branch certainly exists, and, by linearity, "you" are the
    individual on that branch. This is inconsistent with the claim
    that the Born rule gives the probability that "you" will see some
    particular result. As we have seen, the probability that "you"
    will see all ups in one, whereas the Born probability for this
    result is 1/2^N. These probability estimates are incompatible.

According to relativity you exist in all times across your lifespan (and all times are equally really).
Sez who?  You take these images intended to help your mathematical intution far too seriously.

Brent

Yet you are only ever aware of being in one time and in one place. I think this tells us more about the limitations of our neurology than it reveals about the extent or nature of reality. If a copy of me is created on Mars, the me know Earth doesn't magically become aware of it.

Jason

    Bruce
    Groups "Everything List" group.
    send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAFxXSLQL8jz5p5AvoaZAr4%2B06KfsAC8KwA2ZaJpWhDDoYAifpA%40mail.gmail.com

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAFxXSLQL8jz5p5AvoaZAr4%2B06KfsAC8KwA2ZaJpWhDDoYAifpA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CA%2BBCJUi697%3DmSFSQuvh%3D6BRiKN5kCCkMKQLE3U9YXx%3DaPJ1yPw%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CA%2BBCJUi697%3DmSFSQuvh%3D6BRiKN5kCCkMKQLE3U9YXx%3DaPJ1yPw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.