Philosophically. idea-wise, is what I mean, IF the Autodidactic Universe is
true, IF Vitaly Vanchurin's analysis is true, then it's all up to the Big,
Universe-Mind to decide? Yes, JC, Panpsychism. If Mr. Big decides by MWI or
some other computer means to create a trillion Meekers, that he needs for
analysis function, it's all on Him. For the trillionth Meeker? I'd say hang the
sense of it, as those in the UK say, and go relax & do beer and pizza. Read
some physics papers your 'Meekers' wrote or some other brainy person. Talk to
Schrodinger or Wigner's (clones). We'd all divert at some point, so no worries.
Ask the Team Leader what the Boss needs, etc.
Me? Why I just replace the LED bulbs and make sure the toilets flush, ok.
*Vanchurin is at U Minn in Duluth. 'Autodidactic,' was Stephon Alexander and
Lee Smolin as leads.
    On Thursday, December 28, 2023 at 07:37:00 AM EST, John Clark
<johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

 On Wed, Dec 27, 2023 at 8:32 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> A soul is unique but information can be duplicated.

 > Not if it's quantum, i.e. in qubits,

It's true that a qubit can't be duplicated (although it can be transported) but
the thing that makes you be you must be conventional information not quantum
information. Everybody has a few radioactive elements in their body, potassium
being the most important, and every second about 5000 of those unstable nuclei
decay. So, even if we ignore the far larger effect of the external environment
constantly interacting with you, your body enters a different quantum state
every 1/5000 of a second. And if Many Worlds is correct then every second you
split into 5000 different worlds that are almost, but not quite, identical with
this one. Yet in spite of all that you feel that, apart from sleeping, your
subjectivity has been continuous and you still feel like you.

 > which it may soon be after you're uploaded to Google's newest computer.

Who knows, if I'm very lucky I might be uploaded into a quantum computer, but
there is no evidence the human brain is a quantum computer and there are very
strong reasons to suggest it is not. The brain is much too hot and chaotic, a
quantum computer needs much calmer conditions. And we are even worse than
conventional computers at doing things that quantum computers are especially
good at, like factoring large numbers or simulating complex quantum systems
(like any atom heavier than hydrogen) to figure out exactly what it will do.
Even crude approximations are very difficult to do without the help of a
computer.   John K Clark    See what's on my new list at  Extropolis

eca

         The soul is and will always remain unfathomable, but information is
understandable, in fact information is the ONLY thing that is understandable.
 Information unambiguously exists, I don't think anyone would deny that, but
even if the soul exists it will never be proven scientifically.
   So do I agree with "TESCREAL"? I don't know, but I do know two things, I
don't like acronyms and I don't agree with Charlie Stross.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1%3DVTF5XLoeOemc6YNJ4CYFEJ5SfpAk3uc_iXeMZo0f_Q%40mail.gmail.com.