Ok, I found a while to get through the source code and I thought that
I found the responsible line:

# awk 'NR == 61 {print}' shell/ev-open-recent-action.c
        gtk_recent_chooser_set_limit (GTK_RECENT_CHOOSER (toolbar_recent_menu),
5);

It seemed that the limit is hardcoded into source. But I have tried to
change the number and compile evince for myself, but when I ran
compiled binary, I didn't noticed any change.

I think I'll just have to use file->open->recent items, which provides
more items. But I think that there should be at least command line
switch for that one. If you browse files a lot, 5 is really way too
small.

Cheers
Mirosław Zalewski